Poetry Magnum Opus

Terraform'at Ruin

abstrect-christ

abstrect-christ

Terraform'at Ruin

Daggers perforate an empty house,

humid air expands replacing cool manufactured ventilation.

Among the fabricated illumination, peaking through

unveiled windows showcasing similar exteriors, gardens and bush

as this onyx house;

a Phoenix’s invulnerable shade rises, sharp edges overlay others,

thorns wrapped up, neither terminating nor puncturing

this decrepit dreg; taking hold of humidity

turning imperceptible drops solid, this chill

blighting interior windows.

hssss, a grey felis silvestris bares its fangs,

seal brown and white smoke stripes stand in alarm

like Anoplogaster sighting its prey.

Crimson stains and a droplet of tyrian purple,

the saxony carpet reflects the primus affect of this witching hour —

Tete lay in his Cronus pyre,

mulk torn amongst his tattered remains.

Alexander and Valentina repose in their sky burial, excarnated.

By book and candle

cumulonimbus follow orographic masses —

Anathema’s overcast bell

a carrion drift,

refracting the abhorrent,

enveloping Ocean avenue

dashing the lights of its commonwealth.

No sanguineous corpus to posit a heifers ash;

sage, salt, water, candle, circle, and chant —

throwing Jesus to the ground

this fiend is an inverse to the abolishing

exaction of prayer

with It’s septem tapers.

Deluging outside, terra's in redux conflux —

necropolis’ hereafter —

Arcadia:
Aella’s blood eagle.

By Jeremy Swyck

-------------------------------

started this a year or two back and decided to finish it -- inspiration was Lovecraft's creeping terror style of writing and The Strain saga's 2nd book; hopefully I did Lovecraft's style justice. I'll point out the more obscure symbology, also you'll see some of the murk I had to swim through in my research to get the atmosphere right.

- Tete = Jesús Octavio Martínez Yañez, 10, aka, “Tete,” reported missing on March 6, 2012. killed with a machete and then stabbed multiple times in the abdomen to drain blood from the body(along with the rest of his family overtime) as a sacrifice to the Santa Muerte.
- Alexander & Valentina = Alexander Esau, 20, Valentina Suriani, 18, killed by David Berkowitz -- also known as "Son of Sam" or "The .44 Caliber Killer" -- he claimed that a demon was speaking through his neighbours dog and telling him to kill.
- Aella = Aella of Northumbria, a tyrant king killed in 867. In 'The Tale of Ragnar's Sons' he's written to have had his ribs cut away from the spine and lungs ripped out in a display of a bloody eagle.
- Religion of carthage: written accounts show that they practiced child sacrifice for protection. These areas were known as Topheth, and were basicly just giant crematoriums and the sacrifices Mulk Offerings. The one account I did read had Diodorus Siculus explain how they put the offerings into an image of Cronus holding out his hands, the palms a slope downward into the pit of flames.

- Sky burial = A Tibetan funeral practice in which the body is separated and left at the top of a high peak or mountain to decompose or be eaten a carrion animal such as a vulture and taken up to the sky by said carrion bird.
- Excarnation, or defleshing, is a method of burial in which the body's organs and flesh are removed before burial, be it by nature or hand.
- Bell, book and candle refers to the method of excommunication by Anathema imposed on those who committed exceptionally grievous sins on the catholic church -- been around since the 8th century. Though these days it isn't as elaborate, back in the day it involved a bishop with 12 priests holding candles in a conspicuous place; Anathema's formulaic chant and confirmation of rites from the priests -- then the bell ring and closing of the holy book. The priests then dash out the candles' flames via the ground; and the anathematized are treated like a leper till they reconcile their sin with the church.
- The famous Amittyville Horror house is on Ocean avenue.

- Tumat HaMet is a Jewish cleansing ritual for those who come into contact with a human corpse -- considered the ultimate impurity. Although most impurities can be cleansed through the waters of Mikvah -- this one requires a sprinkling of the ashes of a red heifer. Understandably since the holy cow and temple no longer exist (though a mutant was born in America that was red in 2014), this tradition is defunct meaning all those who follow judaism are presumed to have this impurity and Kohen must avoid corpses as a priestly statute.
- A Wiccan cleansing ritual requires the 4 elements: Sage for air, a candle for fire, sea salt for earth, and water for, well, water. These elements are placed within the casters circle and used in tandem with the chant that's required to cleanse the location/person of negativity/evil.
- If you're interested in the bible quotes I based some imagery on just ask and I can give you the link; but the verses I did look at mainly had to do with demon possession.

Pinhead

"Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends.

There is a secret song at the center of the world, Joey, and its sound is like razors through flesh."

Joey

"I don't believe you."

Pinhead

"Oh come, you can hear its faint echo right now. I'm here to turn up the volume.

To press the stinking face of humanity into the dark blood of its own secret heart."

"There's a starving beast inside my chest
playing with me until he's bored
Then, slowly burying his tusks in my flesh
crawling his way out he rips open old wounds

When I reach for the knife placed on the bedside table
its blade reflects my determined face
to plant it in my chest
and carve a hole so deep it snaps my veins

Hollow me out, I want to feel empty"
-- "Being Able To Feel Nothing" by Oathbreaker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBPy3xNwwL8

"Sky turns to a deeper grey

the sun fades by the moon

hell's come from the distant hills

tortures dreams of the doomed

and they pray, yet they prey

and they pray, still they prey"
-- "Still They Prey" by Cough

https://soundcloud.com/relapserecords/sets/cough-still-they-pray

• 2 weeks later...
abstrect-christ

edited with glossary in case it was too thick with obscure symbology.

Pinhead

"Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends.

There is a secret song at the center of the world, Joey, and its sound is like razors through flesh."

Joey

"I don't believe you."

Pinhead

"Oh come, you can hear its faint echo right now. I'm here to turn up the volume.

To press the stinking face of humanity into the dark blood of its own secret heart."

"There's a starving beast inside my chest
playing with me until he's bored
Then, slowly burying his tusks in my flesh
crawling his way out he rips open old wounds

When I reach for the knife placed on the bedside table
its blade reflects my determined face
to plant it in my chest
and carve a hole so deep it snaps my veins

Hollow me out, I want to feel empty"
-- "Being Able To Feel Nothing" by Oathbreaker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBPy3xNwwL8

"Sky turns to a deeper grey

the sun fades by the moon

hell's come from the distant hills

tortures dreams of the doomed

and they pray, yet they prey

and they pray, still they prey"
-- "Still They Prey" by Cough

https://soundcloud.com/relapserecords/sets/cough-still-they-pray

• 2 weeks later...

Too thick is just fine! Provides a dark enchantment- Atmospheric, imagist, a satanic invocation. Reminded me of my first viewing of the Original Hellraiser on the Big Screen -- The moment he is confronted mid-transformation, and his reply is "Jesus Wept." The inscrutable nature is part of this poems charm. As to doing Lovecraft Justice: This is far more Industrial, less pastoral, More Throbbing Gristle than Led Zepplin and I find that to be a good thing, personally and believe that there is a space of fans who would adore this kind of piece. An excellent example of itself, and possibly my favorite of your;-)

Dr. Con

• 1 month later...

This, all by itself:

Anathema’s overcast bell

Wow.

I recognized the name Aella from the old "The Vikings" movie.