Poetry Magnum Opus

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Last week
  2. gurunAthan

Tinker's Poetic Forms: Tercet

Tinker's Poetic Forms: Tercet 01. Baby cloud! (Triplet: iambic tetrameter: AAA) Atop the hill a baby cloud As it passed the mountain bowed And the baby laughed aloud! ★★★ 02. Bengali! (Triplet: trochaic trimeter: AAA) Calm and cool and jolly Is my uncle Mali Yes we are Bengali! ★★★ Terza Rima (ABA BCB CDC) 01. Disown! Be home, be safe and be with your family! They need you, you need them, now all at home, Covid taught us all a useful homily! Do not go out, do not loiter or roam, Do it, and they could get you with a drone!* Keep your nose clean
  3. tonyv

Nature's Cycle

I like the message. And as for that bell, ultimately, all institutions will be cast down. Tony
  4. tonyv

A red rose

Joel, I like how the poem is nicely composed as a single succinct sentence.
  5. tonyv

She never turns up! (Ghazal)

gurunAthan, Been there, done that. I'd be all set with that "relationship." I wouldn't let on that I know -- I'd play along for a bit -- and it would be, "Adios!" before she knew what hit her. Best of luck to her! Tony
  6. tonyv

Tinkering with Tinker's Poetic Forms: Couplet

The Alexandrine line is beyond my poetic comprehension and sensibilities. I can only tell you what this poem makes me feel: I want someone to drop a nuclear bomb on that boss I want someone to guillotine that chubby child, and I want to topple that carousel's flying horses!!! (Oh, and I'd also burn down the rainforests and send that lofty mountain chief back to his reservation.) Am I angry? Yes, I'm angry ... and that's a good thing. The poem is working. Tony
  7. tonyv

Sappho the cat

Pretty good, Barry. Cats are weird, but Sappho takes the edge off this plight-of-the-homeless ditty, while Isaac gets drunk and high building and bonding with snowmen all day and night. It's idyllic! If I could check into a bughouse for a stint and have people (paid for by other, of course) tend to my mental health with talk and pharmaceuticals, I would connect with the cat. I would look into its eyes, it would look into mine, and we would come to an agreement on what our mutual sarcophagus should contain. Thanks for the look within and without. I loved it. Tony
  8. Tinker

Nature's Cycle

Oh here is another reason for me to make time to get back to participating here more often. The Barzelletta is one of those centuries old Italian classics which balances theme and form and most modern poets bypass or are ignorant of. I am delighted to read this modern version. Thanks for sharing this. ~~Tink
  9. Tinker

Tinkering with Tinker's Poetic Forms: Couplet

Haha, Usually when people play with forms they drift toward the invented artificially tortured forms, not you.. I love this! You have taken a classic, the Alexandrine couplet, which has been mostly overlooked by modern poets and given it a fresh new look with humor and unique imagery. Well executed, entertaining and a great example of why the study of classic form can influence good modern poetry. Thank you and Bravo! ~~Tink ps. I will link this small piece to the article on the Alexandrine couplet.
  10. Earlier
  11. Tinkering with Tinker's Poetic Forms: Couplet Eye catches! gurunAthan ramaNi (Alexandrine couplet: iambic hexameter) The absent-minded boss || walks in the morning fog His hat in chain beside, and on his head his dog! She danced on the hobbyhorse || in the temple annual fair Amused that a chubby child, demand a seat on the mare! The pearly drop of rain || suspended on a leaf It caught within its walls the lofty mountain chief! *****
  12. gurunAthan

She never turns up! (Ghazal)

She never turns up! gurunAthan ramaNi (English Ghazal: iambic hexameter couplets) The sun goes down, the sky is blue — she ne'er turns up; The waves are red, even the air has hue — she ne'er turns up. The crowd is thin, I spot a couple 'hind the boat The boat and the net are decked with dew — she ne'er turns up. The lighthouse, lean and tall, its beacon yet to shine The ships are far between and few — she ne'er turns up. The broken moon is dim, the stars are yet to shine, I walk in sand, without a clue — she ne'er turns up. The waves adorn the sandy shore w
  13. eclipse

Sappho the cat

The wind rested on top of the branches of a tree in the park, not blowing below them. Sappho the cat followed the steady flow of spirits leaving the earth, passing the flakes of snow. The night searched for a cradle to lay down it's body of dreams, Sappho rubbed her head on Isaac's feet, as he opened his eyes daylight poured out like light entering a cave, he slept in the
  14. badger11

Open to submissions

Another one for short poem enthusiasts: http://www.onesentencepoems.com/osp/?page_id=13
  15. JoelJosol

A red rose

A red rose held in my hand caught my tears on its petals like dew shimmering from the sunlight's kiss, leaked by rain clouds above the garden where I stood.
  16. JoelJosol

Fly

Thanks for the read. It is a collage of images and impressions built around the play of the word 'fly'. It plays intentionally with the reader's association with the word 'fly' and changes the experience for every reader.
  17. gurunAthan

Nature's Cycle

Nature's Cycle gurunAthan ramaNi (Barzeletta couplets) . Majestic frog on a lotus leaf fell down; Even a flea has power, in Nature's cog. ... 1 . Before the flea could think about its power a raindrop drenched its wings and stopped its glee. ... 2 . And the raindrop thought it would become a pearl was mopped up by a ray of morning sun. ... 3 . The sun with all its glory fell in the sea as the seashore temple rang its evening bell! ... 4 . ★★★★★
  18. gurunAthan

guru's poems

Thanks, eclipse. gurunAthan
  19. gurunAthan

guru's poems

Thanks a lot, tonyv, for your understanding and appreciation of my debut poem in this esteemed group. Currently, I am in the task of creating Tamizh equivalents of some of such a large number of English Poetry forms that Miss/Mrs. Tinker has accumulated and expounded very well. In that process, I am happy to try my hand in some of the forms writing my own English verses. I am happy to join this group and look forward to deepening of my understanding of English prosody and poetry. gurunAthan
  20. eclipse

guru's poems

Has shamanic quality...
  21. tonyv

guru's poems

Welcome, gurunAthan. I'm excited that you've joined the forum. I like your debut submittal a lot. To me, it's quite pleasing from content to form. In five relatively short couplets (tetrameters in lieu of pentameters) you've presented an intriguing narrative that includes historical (1), earthly (2), intellectual (3), spiritual (4), and philosophical (5) ingredients. I love that you've included the notes. The layout and look of the work is scholarly and artistically pleasing. Thank you for this exciting, tasteful presentation. It's very much to my liking. Tony
  22. tonyv

Sinann

I searched Sinann and found only a reference to the River Shannon. On the up-side, one of the first results Bing returned was "Sinann" right here at PMO. As is often the case with your works, the poem seems to span continents with its reference to the River Shannon (Europe), the Sphinx (Africa), and the "wind horse" (North America). I enjoyed the saga. Tony
  23. gurunAthan

guru's poems

001. Truth and Wisdom gurunAthan ramaNi (couplets: iambic tetrameter) The earth vibrates with so much noise The sky, refined, is peace and poise. ... 1 shivA is bright in a peaceful stance. shaktI, his wife, shows up in dance. ... 2 The moving breath is body's make The wise, they move it like a snake. ... 3 This world's a showy dream for eyes Beneath it lurks the Truth for the wise. ... 4 When you set the my apart from I And leave the why you know the sky. ... 5 Notes: shivA - God of Destruction in the Hindu Trinity who rejuvenates the world after th
  24. eclipse

Sinann

I watched fire masquerading as ice on river waters, as the moon cried mountains, leaves twitched like the wings of dreaming angels as the wind horse passed over trees. Heard the river whisper about a shivering Sphinx's desire to change form. The wind horse carried me through forests, across mountains until I heard the vexed sun yearning for a new home away from this ravaged earth, Sinann's rebirth was revealed, on whose breath I had been riding.
  25. tonyv

Fragment from “Waking up, Asleep”

Juris, I did. I compared the two versions side by side. Nice adjustments on the final published version. I do like your Gate(less) periodical. I know you have a link for it in your signature, but you should also add a topic to the Promotions forum. Tony
  26. tonyv

Fly

Joel, I like the jarring impressions of futility I get from this poem. Verse after verse, I'm left with a hollow sense that it's all for naught, it's all in vain. Very nicely done. Tony
  27. tonyv

Wind horse

Barry, I always enjoy your Native American themes. This one is compact, just right. Tony
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.