Poetry Magnum Opus

Canticle

Tinker

Explore the Craft of Writing Poetry
Liturgical Verse

Canticle is a scriptural Hymn. The word comes from the Latin, canticulum -canticum - song or sacred song. It is simply a lyrical selection from the Bible to be sung during a worship service. The Vulgate canticum has identified and categorized numerous scriptural verses as canticles. Lyrical scripture. (This all came about while ancient Hebrew and Greek texts were being transcribed into Latin by the clerics. Biblical scripture though believed to be the Word of God has to have been influenced by the languages of translators. Certainly in translations, Latin brought its own musicality to the words. And here I offer a demonstration of the Latin influence in English.)

Canticle of Thanksgiving for the Benefits of Christ (from the English version of the Roman Breviary for use at Lauds on Mondays) note: Pick up any Bible and look up Isaiah 12, although it says the same thing, the syntax and word choices will differ depending on the translation.

Isaiah 12

1. And thou shalt say in that day: I will give thanks to thee, O Lord, for thou wast angry with me: thy wrath is turned away, and thou hast comforted me.
  2. Behold, God is my saviour, I will deal confidently, and will not fear: because the Lord is my strength, and my praise, and he is become my salvation.
  3. Thou shall draw waters with joy out of the saviour's fountains:
  4. And you shall say in that day: Praise ye the Lord, and call upon his name: make his works known among the people: remember that his name is high.
  5. Sing ye to the Lord, for he hath done great things: show this forth in all the earth.
  6. Rejoice, and praise, O thou habitation of Sion: for great is he that is in the midst of thee, the Holy One of Israel.

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.