Are you up to seeing an old friend?
---------------- "I'd love it."
I'll be there, I love you.
-----------------"Love you too."
-------------------------Judi Van Gorder

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Phone Call to An Old Friend

Such a natural thing as picking up the phone. Hit me. Whack! I regret being able to identify with this one, Tink. I'm sure most of us can.

fdh

Larsen M. Callirhoe

wow, sso sad. reminded me of when i was in my car wreck. really hit home like franklin said. anyway franklin i really feel bad for snapping at you. i apoligize sincerely. judy i remember my friends gazing at me mistied eyes with tears welting up in their eyes whenn they first saw me a few days after the surgery. much enjoyed your poem. it was perfect. yes we are all just a phone call away. just imagine 4 generations ago phones were not aroubd lol.

victor

Larsen M. Callirhoe

David W. Parsley

Borrowing from a review I once read for another poem, I find this piece simple; not simplistic. This kind of poetry is Found. The emotion comes through clean with breathless immediacy. The need to make up for lost time, to say the most important things right now, to mutually and immediately affirm the ever fixed mark, the fragility: washed through me like glacier water.

Thank you, Tink.

- Dave

Hi Tink.

So much encompassed in one brief call. An emotive and concise reminder of the fragility of life. I once read that death is as much a part of life as life itself. A clinical assumption that may be so, but from a more humane aspect it is far more complex than that. B.

Frank E Gibbard

Tink, this was no doubt cathartic to share such a heavy experience most will relate to in appropriate degrees if they've been there or not. I have with a brother and before my father. Feeling an empathy you have mine and sympathy (fellow-feeling) too for what it's capable of doing to console at all. Terrific poem from every angle that caught me as the other fine folk here. Some things we write about seem trivial by comparison but one needs light and shade, even black, thta's life of course. Frank

Thanks all of you for reading and sharing your reaction. Unfortunately, it is almost word for word the begining and end of an actual conversation I had with my friend just a little over a week ago. Words that played over and over in my head until I wrote them down. I want to cry everytime a reread them. I wasn't sure if it qualified as a poem but clearly I was able to share my emotion with you all so in my book that is what poetry is about. Thanks for sharing my experience with me.

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Tinker,

What a tear-jerker poem. There are no modifiers, it is not sentimental, just a few words that really hit hard on the reader.

I also like the short dialogue form. Nothing more needs to be said. It is from life, it is from one's heart.

Great write!

Lake

It does qualify as poem, a very good poem, Tinker. It puts the reader in touch with mortality (kind of like that movie "Beaches"), and this reader doesn't want to be there, not even to look in that direction.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

• 5 months later...
Frank E Gibbard

Sorry to read this Tink. Sympathy is all one can offer and closure to your sad report and moving poetry on this. Frank

David W. Parsley

Judy, thank you for coming here and including us. I have thought often about you and the situation of your friend, since your original communication. It is good to know that you both had opportunity to renew the connection. Sympathy for your loss. Our art, though insufficient, offers a mysterious comfort when shared with others. May God see you and your friends through this difficult time.

Prayerfully,

- Dave

Hi Tink,

Humor, warmth and tenacity in the face of a teririble predicament come across in this. Deeply sorry to hear of your friend's passing. Your friendship shines in this.

Thank you.

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.