Jerusalem, Jerusalem!
As a hen protects her brood,
so would I have covered you!
Verse 1.
I place my sanctuary with you,
set there my name,
but you have made
my house a den of thieves
that rob my people of their love for me.
Verse 2.
I send my Messenger before me:
“Make straight thy ways.
The Lord is come.”
But thou hast killed the holy
prophets and those that I send to thee.
Verse 3.
I come in spirit meek and lowly.
I am the Word
that lights the way of men.
I come to save and heal,
come to my own, yet you receive me not!

© 2012 David W. Parsley

Parsley Poetry Collection

Larsen M. Callirhoe

hey this is classic poetry. i love this. reminds me of proverbs, psalms mostly, and song of solomnousky, enjoyed,,,

victor

Larsen M. Callirhoe

David W. Parsley

Victor, your commentary (not surprisingly) is right on. Much of the piece quotes directly from messianic passages from the Old Testament, including (as you say) Psalms and Song of Solomon, and also from Isaiah. I used to perform this one on occasion years ago. It has a decidedly Yiddish melody and cadence. If I get a chance to record it, I will post it here somewhere (not sure how), if I perceive interest.

Thanks!

- David

Frank E Gibbard

The place for hymns is in Church or at the head of the troops @ the battle David, (little Biblical reference there!) Only joking of course, as a lapsed RC and an atheist to boot who am I to comment? But I did learn a lot of the stuff before rejecting it, no offence intended. I thought this deserves more comment though especially as you comment lots unlike me but post your own writes relatively rarely. Despite being lost I appreciate a good piece of choral music, if this works with its score good on you, I'd like to hear it. It speaks for your versatility which always impresses me in folks. My religion is very much tolerance by the way, sincerely and this certainly didn't entirely fall on stony ground from a poetic standpoint. I always believe most lyrics are poetry, especially Dylan's. Frank

Larsen M. Callirhoe

hi frank i love dylan. great poet song writer as was john denver and those that inpired both of them. i agree with you about lyrics being like poetry. but modern song riters most cut the cheese an stink in comparison.

victor

Larsen M. Callirhoe

David W. Parsley

Appreciate the encouragement, Frank. Agree that belief is not prerequisite to appreciation. I still do not understand atheism, but I am making progress - I at least believe in the existence of atheists now! :rolleyes:

(Really. I used to think the claimants were faking it. It was like somebody telling me that there was insufficient proof to demonstrate the existence of the sun. Nice academic gymnastics, but we all knew it was there, right? lol. Discussion for another day.)

I'll see if I can figure out how to record something a capella and post it here, until I can dig up an accompanied version.

- Dave

• 2 weeks later...