I tremble from the cold.

Don't make me more of a beggar --

just take me, and don't delay.

Give me a piece of your bread

and your whole heart.

• Like 1

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

How can I explain the way this poem makes me feel more vividly than the poem itself already does? I cannot. It speaks for itself. The poem starts out with a request --

Don't make me beg --

take my hand and warm it ...

-- but someone has asked the winter to make the narrator cold, to turn her into a beggar. It quickly becomes evident that the narrator is in no position to give commands; she is a beggar, and beggars can't be choosy, as the saying goes. The poem is especially painful here:

You make me hungry,

as I stare at my empty plate

and pretend that I eat

from your full, set table.

Not only does the narrator stare at her empty plate and wish she had food, she pretends that she has food, and this reminds me of your poem Tale - Cinderella and Odysseus . There, she states that she is living "a Cinderella half-story."

The poem also exhibits a touch of the erotic:

I am a beggar

who begs for your warm blouse,

for your hot milk.

With broken pride, I am a beggar

who begs for your warmth --

I tremble from the cold,

and at the end it becomes clear that it is not only material which the narrator craves, what she longs for. She begs for her emotional needs to be met:

I want to take her hand and warm it. When I read this, I want someone to take my hand and warm it! Thank you for this lovely example of what constitutes good poetry -- it is a perfect poem.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

i think the bar reaches it's acme!

Sometimes a disturbed mind is always deceived without any reason and it becomes rational for its own legality. we are abide by many reasons, morals, religions, idealism, but neither could define the love the way the true lovers do!

i am not sage or couldn't be a true lover, but i must say something in the world might purifies all the things and i think our lovely alek has found this thing!

RoNy

This is poignant. The persona is torn between to beg and not to beg. My favorite part

I tremble from the cold.

"Words are not things, and yet they are not non-things either." - Ann Lauterbach

aleksandra,

I'm deeply touched by the emotion and/or passion conveyed in this poem. Some lines are very powerful, such as this

Don't make me more of a beggar

Cheers,

Lake

Larsen M. Callirhoe

aleks this poem is great. it shows how you think. i learned a lot about your way of thinking in this poem. i absolutely love it. excellent poem my friend. so diversified and unique dear.

victor

Edited by Larsen M. Callirhoe

Larsen M. Callirhoe

Aleksandra
How can I explain the way this poem makes me feel more vividly than the poem itself already does? I cannot. It speaks for itself. The poem starts out with a request --
Don't make me beg --

take my hand and warm it ...

-- but someone has asked the winter to make the narrator cold, to turn her into a beggar. It quickly becomes evident that the narrator is in no position to give commands; she is a beggar, and beggars can't be choosy, as the saying goes. The poem is especially painful here:

You make me hungry,

as I stare at my empty plate

and pretend that I eat

from your full, set table.

Not only does the narrator stare at her empty plate and wish she had food, she pretends that she has food, and this reminds me of your poem Tale - Cinderella and Odysseus . There, she states that she is living "a Cinderella half-story."

The poem also exhibits a touch of the erotic:

I am a beggar

for your hot milk.

I tremble from the cold,

and at the end it becomes clear that it is not only material which the narrator craves, what she longs for. She begs for her emotional needs to be met:

I want to take her hand and warm it. When I read this, I want someone to take my hand and warm it! Thank you for this lovely example of what constitutes good poetry -- it is a perfect poem.

Tony

Tony how wonderful comment. Everyone would love to have comment like this one.

Thank you so much for your words, and I am pleased to read all what you wrote here. It is interesting how you made a connection between two of my poems, maybe there is something what really exists, and you are making wonderful connection, which I even didn't notice that I expressed something similar and close in those two poems.

Everybody needs warmed hand, so I am not surprised that you want too.

Interesting that you found that erotic touch in here. Really I love the way how this poem worked on you.

Tony dear, thank you so much. Much enjoyed reading your words, which for always I'm looking forward.

Aleksandra

History of Macedonia

Aleksandra
i think the bar reaches it's acme!

Sometimes a disturbed mind is always deceived without any reason and it becomes rational for its own legality. we are abide by many reasons, morals, religions, idealism, but neither could define the love the way the true lovers do!

i am not sage or couldn't be a true lover, but i must say something in the world might purifies all the things and i think our lovely alek has found this thing!

RoNy

Rony - thanks. You shout wonderful things in this comment.

Thank you for reading and for your nice words.

Aleksandra

History of Macedonia

Aleksandra
This is poignant. The persona is torn between to beg and not to beg. My favorite part

I tremble from the cold.

Joel, my friend. Thank you for showing some of the main points from the poem.

Aleksandra

History of Macedonia

Aleksandra
aleksandra,

I'm deeply touched by the emotion and/or passion conveyed in this poem. Some lines are very powerful, such as this

Don't make me more of a beggar

Cheers,

Lake

Lake thank you so much. I am glad that you are touched by the emotions in this poem.

Aleksandra

History of Macedonia

Aleksandra
aleks this poem is great. it shows how you think. i learned a lot about your way of thinking in this poem. i absolutely love it. excellent poem my friend. so diversified and unique dear.

victor

Ah Victor my friend. I am glad to hear this icon_smile.gif I am happy that you love this poem, and that can be seen my inner side from the heart of the poem

Thank you my friend.

Aleksandra

History of Macedonia

goldenlangur

Hi aleksandra,

I read this as a plea from someone who is emotionally and also physically dependent on the person addressed in the poem. Perhaps I'm wrong but these lines here seem to suggest an intimacy and dependence which evoke maternal nurturing:

"I am a beggar

for your hot milk."

There's a rhetorical element in that without the mother's love and nurturing, the child is doomed, so why would the child need to beg for this most basic of protection and love? Is it because despite the popular beliefs about 'mother earth' ideals of motherhood, mothering does not always come 'naturally' to every woman - the demand - physical, emotional, psychological on her person - is phenomenal and taxing. So I imagine this poem to be about the vulnerability of a child - perhaps there's an allusion to the recent natural disasters around the world in which children have been orphaned and left without such basic protection - Congo civil war, the recent earthquakes in Baluchistan province of Pakistan?:

"Don't make me beg --

take my hand and warm it.

Don't ask the winter

to make me cold.

I am a beggar

for all sides of your world."

Emotive and powerful.

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Aleksandra

GL what a wonderful reading by you. I never thought that this poem can be read in so many ways. I am surprised how you read this poem. It doesn't matter if you guessed the real meaning of the poem, but I loved how the poem provoked that sense in you.

Begging can be connected with everything, even with love. And with your comment you gave me more inspiration to write about begging icon_smile.gif

So I like that this poem worked that way for you.

Thank you so much for reading and commenting my friend.

Aleksandra

History of Macedonia

Larsen M. Callirhoe

i fixed my typos aleks. sorry bout that. i have an eye allergy and this morning is the first morning it has started to clear up. im taking a medication called "singular" and it has stopped the itchiness and irritation, thank god. glad you could understand my memo to you despite the typos.

vic

Larsen M. Callirhoe

Aleksandra
i fixed my typos aleks. sorry bout that. i have an eye allergy and this morning is the first morning it has started to clear up. im taking a medication called "singular" and it has stopped the itchiness and irritation, thank god. glad you could understand my memo to you despite the typos.

vic

Vic dear, do not worry about anything, hope your eyes are better. And you know I can understand all kinds of English icon_smile.gif I am not using proper English so I am used on bad spelling, icon_smile.gif even with clear eyes I am making very often mistakes. icon_eek.gificon_smile.gif

Take care my friend

Aleksandra

History of Macedonia