Poetry Magnum Opus

KIPARIS

Aleksandra

Aleksandra

for Tose Proeski, died autumn 2007 icon_sad.gif

tosepr14.jpg

The kiss of death fell in love and married you.

It mercilessly rended you

from the blooming garden.

And you, you were in bloom,

born to burst into tears

with the bells of your soul,

to capture all glances with your beauty, fragrances...

You even made the sun sigh

and surrender to you.

The thorns were so soft and not prickly

in your nearness.

I am lost in the shadow of your face.

How huge is this grief!

The flowers in the deserted garden

let down their leaves,

lost their flavor.

Wailing spills into the wind.

All blessed and playful silhouettes

are now wrapped in mourning

and condemned to a hell on earth.

Raging faces fall silent.

icon_cry.gif

b_764111.jpg

Tose Proeski & Gianna Nannini - Aria

Tose Proeski - 2007 - Igri bez granici

Tose Proeski - Bed Of Roses (Live)

Tose Proeski - wikipedia

Aleksandra icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

• Like 1

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

Alek, I checked out this guy from the wiki and he is so popular. No wonder you were moved to write this touching piece.

"Words are not things, and yet they are not non-things either." - Ann Lauterbach

goldenlangur

Hi Aleksandra,

Beautiful imageries and moving words to mourn the loss of a voice who touched many.

You give a personal slant to what his death means for you and here the morunful tone is reminiscent of a heart broken by grief:

aleksandra wrote:

tosepr14.jpg

The kiss of death fell in love and married you.

I am lost in the shadow of your face.

How huge is this grief!

And I like very much how you extend the seasonal slow down of the life pulse at autumn to a sorrowful marking of his death:

"The flowers in the deserted garden

let down their leaves,

lost their flavor.

Wailing spills into the wind."

The timbre of his voice in the links you thoughtfully provided have a haunting, lingering resonance.

Thank-you for an unforgettable read.

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Aleksandra

Thank you my dear Tony for your words. And I am glad you like this poem, and thank you for your help here. It was hard for me to write this one...you know how much I was and how much I am still sad about him.

Joel, thank you for reading and that you have checked out for Tose, yes he was so important for us, and not just for my country. He did a lot for the nation and for the people and love. Now his spirit remind us how we should be, and I can see how the people are changed after him, he learned us a lot. As he was sent by God with some great mission...

Golden, your words are so right. And his death as I said many times broke our hearts and we stayed as without sky. It is strong feeling and not usual always and anywhere. That grief can't be expressed and described by words.

I am glad that this is unforgettable read to you. That means a lot for me, especially on this poem

Thank you my friends for reading and commenting

Aleksandra

History of Macedonia

Hi aleks, I think I remember you posted this at the old PMO. For one to die so young is tragic. For one who's gifts touched so many to pass is doubly tragic. Those left can only be grateful for the time he was here and that he shared himself with you. From all that I read about him and from your poem, I believe he graced this earth in his time here. This is a beautiful tribute.

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Aleksandra

Thank you Tinker for your beautiful comment. I am glad that you like this tribute.

Aleksandra

History of Macedonia

Nice, very nice; paying homage to one of many excellent young talents that die too early. I did not realize Macedonian was one of the Slavic languages practiced in the Balkans. I must inject the fact his first name should be spelled Toshe. And, BTW, what does KIPARIS mean, if anything. My universal-in-my-head-only dictionary says something like DWARF, KOBOLD, MANNIKIN?

Aleksandra

Waxwings, thank you for your comment. Yes it might be spelled Toshe too, but we are used everywhere when we use Latin to spell as Tose, so we know how should be read.

Anyway, Kiparis yes it means something, it is cypress, but I used one of the words in Macedonian language, which is not so popular in this language too, because we have another word for the tree also. The kiparis ( or the cypress if you want ) is very common tree at the grave yards so I have read somewhere long time ago that is a grave tree. Not in all cases of course, we have the tree in the our home yard. But I liked the word and I took it.

Thank you again for your time.

Aleksandra

History of Macedonia

Waxwings, thank you for your comment. Yes it might be spelled Toshe too, but we are used everywhere when we use Latin to spell as Tose, so we know how should be read.

Anyway, Kiparis yes it means something, it is cypress, but I used one of the words in Macedonian language, which is not so popular in this language too, because we have another word for the tree also. The kiparis ( or the cypress if you want ) is very common tree at the grave yards so I have read somewhere long time ago that is a grave tree. Not in all cases of course, we have the tree in the our home yard. But I liked the word and I took it.

Thank you again for your time.

Aleksandra

My comment re Toshe is for the benefit of all who do not know how a symbol is pronounced in a foreign tongue.

I am native Latvian. We are taught that to respect foreign names/words and thus they must be spelled so that we pronounce them as close as is possible to mimic the original. Your link shows Toše, and that is why I thought it may be of interest to literarily an astute bunch such as this.

I'm slipping. The island Cyprus, Kipros, in Greek, I believe, is also named because the tree is prevalent around the Mediterranean. In Latvian, the treeis called tsiprese because in that tongue that is the only permitted pronounciation of that symbol, not like either k or s.

waxwings wrote:

In Latvian, the treeis called
tsiprese
because in that tongue that is the only permitted pronounciation of that symbol, not like either k or s.

In Estonian, it's küpress.

Tõnis icon_smile.gif

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Aleksandra

Yes waxwings, it is as it is. Here we call kiparis or cempres ( chempres ) - more common. And yes it's better to write the name closer to the reader, to be able to read it correctly as Toshe. And that point that I used Tose is because the name is not foreign for me, all foreign names I am spelling correctly, so I wasn't even thinking that Toshe is foreign name for others.

So thank you for paying attention to foreign names waxwings and you showed up how should be spelled correctly in English.

Tony icon_smile.gif thank you for sharing in Estonian language.

Aleksandra

History of Macedonia

Beautiful tribute Aleks, the great anguish and mourning- The palpable sense of real loss is Romantic- communicating the pure strength of the emotion...

A very well written tribute!

Sveiks! Waxwing- I'll probably have questions- since I am an American born half Latvian, who spoke Latvian fluently until the age of 8, when the public school system beat it out of me;-) And who has lost touch with a great deal of his roots since mother passed- My brother and I often, try to get to a word or its translation, only to lose it to time and poor memories;-)

DC

Amazing how Aleks has opened a brotherhood of polyglots.

Tervist to you, tonyv. and, labdien to dr_con. Let us hope we can contribute through our special gifts.

Aleksandra

Dr.Con. thanks for your warm comment

Dr.Con wrote:

Beautiful tribute Aleks, the great anguish and mourning- The palpable sense of real loss is Romantic- communicating the pure strength of the emotion...

Means a lot to me.

waxwings wrote:

Tervist to you, tonyv. and, labdien to dr_con. Let us hope we can contribute through our special gifts.

I always wanted to be a polyglot icon_eek.gif And never became, but I enjoy languages a lot.

Paldies and prieka to you waxwings icon_smile.gif

Aleksandra

History of Macedonia

Dr.Con. thanks for your warm comment

Dr.Con wrote:

Means a lot to me.

waxwings wrote:

I always wanted to be a polyglot icon_eek.gif And never became, but I enjoy languages a lot.

Paldies and prieka to you waxwings icon_smile.gif

Aleksandra

Sveika, daiļava.

Aleksandra,

Powerful, poignant. Well versed.

And this

waxwings wrote:
Aleksandra wrote:

Paldies and prieka to you waxwings
icon_smile.gif

Aleksandra

Sveika, daiļava.

Show case! I'm jealous. icon_eek.gif

最良好的祝愿!

Aleksandra,

Powerful, poignant. Well versed.

And this

waxwings wrote:
Aleksandra wrote:

Paldies and prieka to you waxwings
icon_smile.gif

Aleksandra

Sveika, daiļava.

Show case! I'm jealous. icon_eek.gif

最良好的祝愿!

I am told you are no slouch yourself. Wish I could read what my PC can't read in those nice little empty squares at the end of your message.

Aleksandra

Sveika, daiļava.

Ah waxwhing - icon_smile.gif couldn't translate that - what does it means?

Lake thanks for your comment but you know you made me jealous now icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.png

最良好的祝愿 to you too ;).

Aleksandra

History of Macedonia

Sveika, daiļava.

Ah waxwhing - icon_smile.gif couldn't translate that - what does it means?

Lake thanks for your comment but you know you made me jealous now icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.png

最良好的祝愿 to you too ;) .

Aleksandra

Good translation says, "Hello, beautyfull". Actualy the first word translates as Hail to a feminine you because of the "a"ending, the second - beautiful female. Now don't think me thinking anything untoward. Italians would say, "Ciao, bella."

Hi waxwings, Alek,

I used "google translate", it turned out "Hi, Fox". Don't get offended, please. It's just funny. And also approves that you can't depend on translation machines. I've said too much. I'll stop.

Best

Lake

BTW, I like your avatar.

Hi waxwings, Alek,

I used "google translate", it turned out "Hi, Fox". Don't get offended, please. It's just funny. And also approves that you can't depend on translation machines. I've said too much. I'll stop.

Best

Lake

BTW, I like your avatar.

lake,

Is it my avatar you like? Surprisingly, I grabbed it off the listed ones here, and, on later inspection, found it does look very much like me when I was in the US Army and not quite 30 yet . I like yours regardless.

waxwings

lake,

Is it my avatar you like? Surprisingly, I grabbed it off the listed ones here, and, on later inspection, found it does look very much like me when I was in the US Army and not quite 30 yet . I like yours regardless.

waxwings

Yes, waxwings it's your avatar I meant. Then it's so cool that it looks like you. I'll remain what I'm now - avatarless, if you like mine.

Sorry Alek for hijacking this thread.