Poetry Magnum Opus
  • Announcements

• tonyv

Registration -- to join PMO ***UPDATED INSTRUCTIONS***   03/14/2017

Automatic registration has been disabled. If you would like to join the Poetry Magnum Opus online community, use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of this page and follow these instructions: 1. Check your email (including your spam folder) in a timely fashion for a reply. 2. After you receive a reply, use the "Sign Up" link at the top right corner of the page to create your account. Do this fast. I've lost my patience with people who use the "Contact Us" link to express interest in joining and then don't bother to check their email for a reply and don't bother to join after registration has been enabled. The queue fills up fast with spammers, and I have to spend my time sifting through the rubbish to delete them. The window of opportunity for joining will be short. I will not have my time wasted. If you don't check your email and you don't bother registering promptly, you will find that registration has been disabled and your future requests to join may go ignored. /s/ Tony ___________________ [Registration will only be enabled for a short while from the time your message is received, so please check your email for a reply and register within 12 hours of using the "Contact Us" link. (Be sure to check your spam folder if you don't see a reply to your message.)]
    • tonyv

IMPORTANT: re Logging In to PMO ***Attention Members***   03/15/2017

For security purposes, please use your email address when logging in to the site. This will prevent your account from being locked when malicious users try to log in to your account using your publicly visible display name. If you are unable to log in, use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page.
    • tonyv

Blogs   05/01/2017

Blogs are now accessible to Guests. Guests may read and reply to blog entries. We'll see how this works out. If Guest participation becomes troublesome, I'll disable Guest access. Members are encouraged to make use of the PMO Members' Promotional Blog to promote their published works. Simply add your latest entry to the blog. Include relevant information (your name or screen name, poem title, periodical name, hyperlink to the site where published, etc). If you have a lot of them and feel you need your own blog, let me know, and I will try to accommodate you. Members are encouraged to continue also posting their promotional topics in the Promotions forum on the board itself which is better suited for archiving promotions.
Tinker

Redwood Grove

Redwood Grove~~a3d16244.jpg

Trees old enough to remember hearing
the footsteps of God
rise into clouds
that collect the rain
to quench their thirst.
Their massive branches hang
down and out with tips up
like an eagle stretching to snatch the wind.
The sun filters through mute-green needles
stitching lacy patterns on the forest floor.
Blood brown trunks, nourished
by the bones
of the Pomo people
carry the scars of epochs
as they tower above the shaded ferns.
while roots spread deep and broad
anchored to the damp earth.

At the foot of this giant
a broken twig lies in the scent
of mud, musk and decay,
a reminder of my mortality.
Here in the mist from the near-by Pacific
nature's cathedral is my sanctuary.
                         ---Judi Van Gorder (Revision of Ancient and Alive

What a humbling perspective, to stand in the presence of these giant living things. I recall as a boy how sad I felt at a picture I saw in a book. An arch had been cut through one of their trunks to allow horse drawn carts (presumably lumber-men's) to pass through. Your closing stanza is excellent. Geoff

Tinker- Impressive! Yes exactly how it is and the word choice is superb! At the moment my favorite piece of yours! I just love this!

Many Thanks!

DC&J

A perfect study, Tinker. You paint the picture and then add depth. The forest is large, and I am there, too, a twig, in that "scent of mud, musk and decay." Awesome subject and composition!

Tony

This really gets into, permeates its subject matter, you planted a poetic seed here, a pleasure to plumb ancient stratas of meaning in this stylish work Tink. Beautiful, stunning stuff.

Hi Goeff, DC, Tony and Frank, Thank you for the encouraging words. This is a poem I have had around a long time and it keeps evolving as I do. My best friend from the 3rd grade came to visit last weekend from So CA. and was astonished that there was a redwood grove outside of her bedroom window and she couldn't believe the silence.

~~Tink

Redwood Grove

Trees old enough

to remember hearing

the footsteps of God rise

into clouds that collect the rain

to quench their thirst.

Their massive branches hang

down and out with tips up

like an eagle stretching to snatch the wind.

The sun filters through mute-green needles

stitching lacy patterns on the forest floor.

Blood brown trunks, nourished

by the bones

of the Pomo people

carry the scars of epochs

as they tower above the shaded ferns.

Roots spread deep and broad

anchored to the damp earth.

I am a twig

lying in the scent

of mud, musk and decay,

reminders of my mortality.

In the mist from the near-by Pacific

nature's cathedral

is my sanctuary.

----------- ---Judi Van Gorder

Hello Tinker

That's beautiful to read, fresh and unique phrases, I love the lines, "the footsteps of God rise, into clouds that collect the rain, to quench their thirst". Super!

The last stanza's, enchanting.

Best wishes

Rea

Hi Rhea and Aleks, Thank you so much for reading and for your kind words. It is easy to find beauty in this place that I have blessed to call home. I am glad you liked my attempt to describe it.

~~Tink

Everything's been said, nicely done. :)

Tom Farley produced a nature video on a winter walk into a redwood grove in the Sequoia National Park. He asked my permission and edited my poem to fit his video. My poem describes the redwoods on the Pacific north coast. We rarely have snow here and the Pomo Indians mostly lived in the north and probably never travelled south to where the Sequoia's National Park is. But otherwise the poem fits, some call the Redwoods Sequoias and visa versa. I think there is some difference but they are very similar, I am sure in the same family. If you want to see these beautiful trees here is the link to the video. Farley recites the poem near the end of the 4 minute video. I don't know how he found the poem but he found me on Facebook and asked permission to use it.

~~Tink

I made a response to this last night. I love the poem. so surreal for me,. i couldn't get the video to0 work. i will have a lookse and see if it works now.

Hi Tink, congratulations on the publication of your words in such a Beautiful Place - 185 hits already when I visited. The opening lines are particularly nice, suiting the videologue well.

- Dave

Hello Tinker. I have been up close to these images of mine that go back more than fifty years. I hope that slight amount of time has not changed the majesty. I even (stupidly) drove through the truck of one on the still-living wonders. My family of four could not hold hands around its bole. Thanks for the memories and the message. I like that the ancient bones nourished the roots--what a unique way to illustrate the antiquity of these splendid columns holding up the heavens. Thank your for the gift.

fdh