goldenlangur

holding the prayer beads

for the first time since you died

I repeat

the mantra you taught me

as a child

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

There's not a superfluous word in this elegiac tanka. Though the reader does not know the exact relationship of the narrator and the departed, the fact that s/he has not picked up the prayer beads in some time indicates a deep mourning over someone close. There may have even been some anger directed at God over the loss, but the return to prayer indicates that the healing process is underway.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

goldenlangur

Hi Tony,

Could not wish for a more perceptive and beautifully worded review. Every word certainly counted.

Thank you very much.

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Aleksandra

goldenlangur wrote:

holding the prayer beads

for the first time since you died

I repeat

the mantra you taught me

as a child

Wonderful, spiritual tanka GL. After I read this one, it came in my mind our Prayer Ropes, which we have in different kinds and the one what I have too is for the hand.

We use the prayer rope to say the prayer. At each knot of the prayer rope we say one prayer.

Here is a detailed explanation of how this came about Monastic Handworks - Prayer Ropes

And here how it looks the ones for hand.

DSC00003.jpg and the back side DSC00005-2.jpg

Gl your poem is amazing. Full of power and strong feelings.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

this poem is so emotive and beautiful. it evokes a sense of wisdom and heritage being passed n from one generation to another - the idea of your ancestors living on through you. it celebrates the poignancy of memory, the depth of human emotion at its most private, vulnerable and reflective - and all this upheld and underpinned by prayer, by the universe who we call god...

thank you

To receive love, you have to give it...

goldenlangur

Hello Pawnshop, Aleksandra, DC and Douglas,

Thank you so much for your rewarding reviews.

Aleksandra - thank you for the link and the terrific pictures of prayer beads. After reading your post, I was inspired to find this link for Tibetan prayer beads:

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...f&imgrefurl

With appreciation,

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Aleksandra

Hi goldenlangur. You are welcomed always. Just the link what you post seems it doesn't works, but I think this is the right one:

http://www.josssticksandgems.co.uk/webpics...yer%20beads.gif

Thank you for sharing GL. Seems a lot similar.

Aleksandra

History of Macedonia

Larsen M. Callirhoe

great tanka GL. i feel nthe loss. interesting that different cultures bhave prayer beeds. i thought just the catholics and orthodox use them. so i learned something new. thanks for that my friend.

it is freezing in here and some one stole the knob to our heater and air conditoioner unit. i am pissed because it is 15 degrees fahrenheit outside if not colder outside so inside it must be 50 degrees in the building. a little to cold for me.

vic

Larsen M. Callirhoe

goldenlangur

Bless you Aleksandra for sorting the link.

Yes, the hand/wrist beads which your pictures showed look very similar to the ones we use. The ones wrapped round the neck must be similar to the rosary?

I appreciate your help with the link and also for sharing the samiliarity of the prayer beads that you use.

A big thank you.

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

I'm grateful that the sense of loss comes through, vic.

Indeed, it is fascinating that different cultures use similar prayer beads. I've seen some Greek worry beads, which seem quite like the wrist beads that Aleksandra showed in the pictures, she so thoughtfully posted here.

Our cold weather continues with rain/sleet. I hope that it gets better in your part of the world. Rather mean of the person to steal the knob to your heater and air conditioner. icon_mad.gif I do hope this is sorted out for you.

Take care and lovely to see you around. icon_smile.gif

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Aleksandra
Bless you Aleksandra for sorting the link.

Yes, the hand/wrist beads which your pictures showed look very similar to the ones we use. The ones wrapped round the neck must be similar to the rosary?

I appreciate your help with the link and also for sharing the samiliarity of the prayer beads that you use.

A big thank you.

Probably. All looks similar GL. And most of them are hand-knitted, and some of them are made from wood. There are different ones which are made for commercial. And yes, they are the rosary.

ALeksandra

History of Macedonia