Poetry Magnum Opus

Tinker

Here is a new challenge for anyone who wants to play,  Form of the Week.  It's the Playground, have a little fun with writing..

Once a week, on Thursday, I will post a different verse form and I hope someone will give it a try.   Writing with a particular frame for inspiration will probably not create "the great poem" we are all hoping to write someday, but it is good practice in condensing, imagery, word choice,  writing technique and will help create and/or help maintain a writing discipline.   Practice, stepping outside of our comfort zone, having a little fun with words are all a plus when challenged to write just one poem a week with a prescribed frame.  And please not only should you post poems in this thread, comments are always welcome.

This week the Verse Form is: 

Compound Word Verse  

This invented verse form uses a stem word from the title to end each stanza in a compound form. Created by Margaret R Smith and found at ShadowPoetry.com. (stem word = rain, stanza end words could be rainbow, rainfall, raincoat, raindrop, rainstorm etc.)
The elements of the Compound Word Verse are:

1. stanzaic, written in 5 tercets.
  2. syllabic, 8-8-3 syllables per line.
  3. rhymed, rhyme scheme aax bbx ccx ddx eex; x being unrhymed.
  4. each tercet ends with a compound of a stem word in the title.

Beyond the Grave

This Halloween night please beware,
step outside only if you dare,
tread gravely.

The tortured dead writhe in their beds,
breaking free, tearing bonds to shreds,
those grave-bound.

Seeking live bodies for a home,
lonely, lost souls are known to roam
from graveyard.

They'll snatch you up without a thought,
moon shines bright on an empty plot
no gravestones.

If possessed you'll be the undead,
soulless creature without a head
and graveless.
                        ~~Judi Van Gorder

Meet me at the Playground, let's have some fun.  I promise to keep the spooks away.

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Tinker

Form for this week is the Aquarian

The Aquarian is a stanzaic form, found at PoetryStyles.com, which is pretty simplistic. It was created by A Marie Mazz. The elements of the Aquarian are:

1. stanzaic, written in any number of quatrains.
  2. syllabic, 2-4-6-2 syllables per line.
  3. unrhymed.

Tinker

One More Time

Dishes
constant clean up
never ending nuisance
again

bother
not really work
scrape, rinse and load washer
again 

no help
others ignore
does no one know how to?
again

boring
mundane duty
abhorrent assignment
again

again
and again and . . . . 
from mealtime and snack time 
again
          ~~Judi Van Gorder

An Aquarian

Tinker

So I lied, here is another Form for the Week, the Tanaga.

The Tanaga is a Filipino stanzaic form that was originally written in Tagolog which to my ear is one of the more musical of languages. (Kumusta ka? Mabuti salam at) The form dates back to the 16th century and has an oral tradition. The poems are not titled. Each is emotionally charged and asks a question that begs an anwer. This form was found at Kaleidoscope.  The elements of the Tanaga are:

1. stanzaic, written in any number of quatrains.
  2. syllabic, 7-7-7-7 syllables per line.
  3. rhymed, originally aaaa bbbb cccc etc., modern Tanagas also use aabb ccdd etc or abba cddc etc or any combination rhyme can be used.
  4. composed with the liberal use of metaphor.
  5. untitled.  But in this poetic world we kind of have to title our poems for identity's sake.

I'd Like to Think, It Knew

Saintly sentinel stands guard,
oversees nature's regard.
St. Francis in my front yard,
stone statue weathered and scarred.

The welcome, silent and stead,
his story of care is widespread.
A brown bird lights on his head
to peruse the garden bed.

Do you think it may have known
what the ancient priest had sown?
In Christ he was never alone,
love for all life he'd intone.
                    ~~Judi Van Gorder

Notes:

A. Baez

I'm not at all sure I could rise to the challenge of writing a decent poem in Compound Word Verse within any length of time, but I just wanted to comment that I love yours, "Beyond the Grave." Obviously, great care must be taken at the outset to choose wisely one's stem word. Your poem flows so smoothly that the reader is scarcely conscious of the strict parameters in which you're working. To top it off, you've managed to conjure a distinctly Halloweeny atmosphere! Nice read, and I'll have to pull it up again next Oct. 31!

Tinker

Thank you A.B,  Some of these invented forms don't always produce high poetry but they are fun practice. 

I also belong to another writing community that has a lot of contests and challenges, some daily, some weekly, some monthly.  2 of the forums offer weekly forms challenges, they are not judged and I wonder if any of the poems are really even read others but I use them both as inspiration to maintain a writing discipline and experiment with patterns. Plus I eventually I want to write an example poem for all of the genres and forms I have documented in the reference section of this forum.   

Sometimes I combine the two challenges because one of the forums switches from forms to devices or even genres or themes so I can put the two together and write one poem.    Part of the challenge is there isn't a lot of time to develop the piece.  Consequently I often snatch a topic and challenge my typing fingers to run with it.   Holidays, current events, and simple moments like watching a bird land on the head of statuary outside my window provide fodder.

~~Tink 

A. Baez

Wowee, spontaneity like that definitely isn't my forte, but I admire people who can rise to such challenges with any modicum of style! Certainly, that's a highly ambitious goal of yours to produce an example of each genre and form you've documented in the reference section here--because there are a lot! I'm really looking forward to delving into that section more, because reading about and seeing examples of all the different modes really can broaden one's imagination. Even as a voyeur, one may imbibe an idea that later may inform one's work, even if only indirectly.

Tinker

A new week, a new form.  An added challenge, today is Veteran's Day here in the US, use that as the theme.  

The Tableau is an invented stanzaic form that paints a single image in keeping with the name of the form, tableau meaning picture. Created by Emily Romano at ShadowPoetry.com, who suggests the word "tableau" be included in the title. I personally think this is gimmicky and don't think it would do your poem justice to use it.  The elements of the Tableau are:

1. stanzaic, written in any number of sixains.
  2. syllabic, 5 syllable lines.
  3. rhyme at the discretion of the poet.
  4. written describing a single image.
  5. written with a title that includes the word "tableau".  (In my opinion, optional.)

Tinker
On 11/11/2019 at 7:01 AM, Tinker said:

elements of the Tableau are:

1. stanzaic, written in any number of sixains.
  2. syllabic, 5 syllable lines.
  3. rhyme at the discretion of the poet.
  4. written describing a single image.
  5. written with a title that includes the word "tableau".  (In my opinion, optional.)

Trophy

Molly brought a gift
in through the front door.
Her play took a shift,
dead mole on the floor.
Now fun is all done,
the trophy is won.
         ~~Judi Van Gorder

Tinker

Happy Monday, here is an easy verse form to tinker with.

Oddquain is a pentastich with odd numbered syllabled lines that add up to 17 syllables invented by Glenda L. Hand.. It is haiku-like in that is compact, utilizing the maximum syllable count of the haiku but breaking it into 5 lines.  The elements of the Oddquain are:

1. a pentastich, a poem in 5 lines or it can be stanzaic, written in any number of cinquains.
  2. syllabic, 1-3-5-7-1 syllables per line.
  3. usually unrhymed.
  4. can be written in variation:
  • Crown of Oddquains - written in 5 cinquains. A crown always is written with the last line of the stanza repeated as the first line of the next stanza.
  • Reverse Oddquains, written with reverse syllable count 1-7-5-3-1,
  • Mirror Oddquain, written in 2 cinquains, syllable count 1-3-5-7-1 1-7-5-3-1.
  • Oddquain Butterflies - merges the 2 stanzas of the mirror cinquain by deleting the 1st line of the second stanza, syllables 1-3-5-7-1-7-5-3-1.

They Keep Coming

Bills,
    reminders that nothing's free.
    Services rendered,
    dollars owed,
    Pay!
               ~~jvg