Macedonian Poetry

Aleksandra

Macedonian Poetry  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Macedonian Poetry?

• No
    • Yes

Aleksandra

I made a new topic Macedonian Poets, which is locked, because I wanted to make an archive of my favorite Macedonian poets and their poetry. But here, in this topic, I am hoping to hear from you. What do you think of Macedonian poetry? I am interested, because I had doubts earlier about my writings and expressions, which often seemed different in the English language. But, when I read the poems, the translations of other Macedonian poets, I see and feel the same. So, it seems I am not the only one who has some unusual expressions. I see that my culture is different, and I am proud that I seem to be keeping in line with that way of writing, not because I learned to write in some different way, but because I inherited the spirit of my ancestors.

In addition to your yes or no vote, I would appreciate it if you would elaborate a bit ... icon_biggrin.png

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

goldenlangur

As the topic is locked, I'm posting some thoughts here.

Each of the poet you've translated have a singular voice. In the poems the landscape, the long history of 'occupation' of your country, her heritage , the fears, hopes and indeed longing for freedom to be itself and have its individual history and culture recognized in its own uniqueness, rather than as an appendage of the rulers who have held Macedonia in their grasp, come through poignantly and eloquently.

Admirable you translation in English - poetry her truly comes into its own across language and geographical boundaries.

Thank you for sharing this.

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Let me be the first to cast my vote, Alek icon_smile.gif ... Ah, it seems that 100% of people polled thus far like Macedonian poetry. icon_biggrin.png

I think Sopov's To the Seagull Circling MY Head and Todorovski's Come to Ohrid are my favorites so far. From the former, I love

Do not land upon my heart.

My heart is no longer mine,

Seagull of mine,

and

I am a boat drifting alone

in the uncharted unknown.

From the latter, the following strike my fancy:

At dawn when the east scatters

deep golden beams across the sky

(these lines make me think of the Macedonian flag),

When darkness casts a velvet cloak

and the day courses beyond the snowy heights,

when the tinkling from nearby sheepfolds stops

and over the dark arch the starry net is stretched,

when the world sinks into deep sleep

whilst somewhere a faint rustle is heard -

come then to Ohrid!

and

... the lake gleams with a weird reflection

and all the world is mute and tranquil.

I have always said that your own poetry contains some of the finest, interesting, and most unusual expressions I have ever come across, and I do see similarities among these writings and your own verse, in both content and style. Please share more of these wonderful translations.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Aleksandra
As the topic is locked, I'm posting some thoughts here.

Each of the poet you've translated have a singular voice. In the poems the landscape, the long history of 'occupation' of your country, her heritage , the fears, hopes and indeed longing for freedom to be itself and have its individual history and culture recognized in its own uniqueness, rather than as an appendage of the rulers who have held Macedonia in their grasp, come through poignantly and eloquently.

Admirable you translation in English - poetry her truly comes into its own across language and geographical boundaries.

Thank you for sharing this.

goldenlangur

Hello Goldenlangur. I am glad you like these Macedonian poems, and yes it's locked that topic, but sure we can comment here. I wished I can translate so good their poetry and mine too. But no, I just put translation made by other people, professionals. Not me, unfortunately.

I like how you characterized the poems, very correct and powerful.

Thank you for reading my friend. Bw where are you? I hope you are fine, and looking forward for you in our board.

Aleksandra

History of Macedonia

Aleksandra

Dear Tony, thank you for your vote icon_smile.gif. The poets what you picked out, are one of my favorites, and one of them is my friend too, I will share photo with Gane and me soon here icon_smile.gif.

I love how you read my poetry always. And I am pleased by your thoughts about my expressions. That encourages me a lot to go on with my writing and to do it my best what I can.

Thank you Tonyv icon_smile.gif

Aleksandra

History of Macedonia

goldenlangur

Hi Aleksandra,

I had not realized that in addition to commenting here that I needed to also vote icon_redface.gif I thought the comment was a Yes vote!

So sorry for this and I feel that my vote is quite a feeble gesture to the superb range of work you've selected and shared from your fellow compatriot-poets.

Can I also add that it is your difference in history, culture, religion, even the landscape of your country that gives your own work that particular passion and artistic and poetic sensibility:

Aleksandra wrote:

because I had doubts earlier about my writings and expressions, which often seemed different in the
English language
. But, when I read the poems, the translations of other Macedonian poets, I see and feel the same. So, it seems I am not the only one who has some unusual expressions. I see that my culture is different, and I am proud that I seem to be keeping in line with that way of writing, not because I learned to write in some different way, but because I inherited the spirit of my ancestors.

English is of course an universal language. But I don't think that this difference in your language and the wider English-writing-speaking milieu takes anything away from your beautiful if at times tragic heritage.

I hope you will write and share more. Apologies again for the vote mix up icon_redface.gif

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Aleks, I have not had enough time to read all, but I can praise you for the transpositions, meaning you do not translate word for word but seem to reacreate(most of the time) in English the poem's soul after first having absorbed it. I could suspect your transposition may be occasionally bettter than the original. Do we have a mechanism here to have columns in a post? That would permit showing the original and the transposition side by side.

I know a goodly number of languages and have done quite few transpositions. That leads me to think that if there is a weakness, it is using now and then the Macedonian word order when writing in Englis. Thus, "peacefully flutter" should perhaps be "flutter peacefully" because in English there may be a huge difference when the adverb is placed before and not after the verb as the latter is more common in general.

There are a few lesser objections, but I would not elaborate unless you specifically wish me to.

I am going to enjoy your transpositions whenever I have time to do the things I like best. Be sure, I am positive you are a good poet because poems are in themselves translations into words of things that few can perform.