goldenlangur

goldenlangur

if only

you could understand

my silence

not that I don't think of you

but that I have no words

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Is the speaker's loss for words due to a phenomenon like writer's block? Or is s/he, figuratively speaking, "speechless," because s/he has nothing to say to the recipient of the expository piece? The reader wants to understand ...

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

if only

you could understand

my silence

not that I don't think of you

but that I have no words

Goldenlangur, this is one wise tanka. All is said, all understood. Can be related to many things, and in each of situations makes a big sense. As Tony said, can be connected with writer's block, or love connections etc. Wonderful expressed and very good to read this one. Soft, sweet and poetical.

Glad to read this beautiful tanka my friend.

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

I speak your language

but I choose to say nothing

not now, to communicate

(I'm not sure if that's what you meant to say, but that's how it came across)

I can see that happening, I suppose, if one lives in a monolingual culture where silence could be seen as a bit of relief ... it can be an OVERLOAD when you understand everything coming at you from radios, TVs and people's mouths 24 hours a day. A bit of peace and quiet would be welcome. It's actually quite a terrible thing to understand everything that people around you are saying, come to think of it. Living in a foreign culture where you only half-understand what people are saying ends up being more peaceful than stressful. You tune so much of it out, it's just so much noise, you don't understand it. You smile a bit more than usual. This is not the standard approved view of intercultural communication, I know, now that it has reached the point these days of "Why can't these stupid buggers speak English??" but it has its good points: you become tremendously aware of gestures and expressions and body language, the very things that a constant blather blather of words overwhelms and conceals.

Naturally, such nuances can be equally appreciated in a single-language environment if they are given the chance to live and breathe. And this, I think, is what the poem is about.

It would be interesting if we had to count the number of words we speak each day ... how many hundreds, how many thousands of words have you used today? How many hundreds of thousands? And to what avail?

dedalus

Edited by dedalus

Drown your sorrows in drink, by all means, but the real sorrows can swim

Multi-meanings is a good thing. This is my take:

It's not that I don't care about you,

it's tha I don't know what to say.

And this can be applied in many different situations.