Poetry Magnum Opus

Metamorphosis (with aoplogies to Kafka) (Prose Poem)

goldenlangur

When Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from troubled sleep he found he had become a flickering computer screen. His bed was a do-it-yourself desk, sleek, white and hard-edged. His legs had transformed into black cable that wound down to a dust-free shelf, where his feet had turned into an Epson printer. His face, now an ocean-blue celluloid surface, lit up the corner of the room and he could feel the ping-ping of messages piling into the in-box. Where his eyes and nose would have been was a Kate Moss screen-saver; his mouth was now a long line of desktop icons.

He heard voices. A young woman walked up to the desk carrying a leather bag. She unzipped it and carefully placed a red Dell Inspiron beside Samsa. She turned to a man drinking coffee from a polystyerine cup and said, "It's been playing up for ages. Anyone would think it had a mind of its own. It's an old model anyway. I've got a new laptop now."

'What is happening to me?' Samsa thought as the woman unplugged the flicker out of him. It wasn't a dream.

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

This is terrific, Goldenlangur! In addition to the somewhat humorous yet disconcerting theme, the details, from the do-it-yourself desk to the polystyerine cup, really make this prose poem. The way the messages come in make it very real for the reader, and the positioning of the icons where the mouth is located makes me consider the possibility that poor Gregor is ... a Mac! How he must feel being traded in for Windows! :))

'What is happening to me?' Samsa thought as the woman unplugged the flicker out of him. It wasn't a dream.

Very Kafka! And I'm hoping when someone (hint: Alek) reads this, she will seriously consider investing in making me a better writer ... by upgrading me to this MONTBLANC KAFKA pen. I'll trade in my Bic!

Tony :)

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Hi Tony,

Thank you for moving this prose poem here and also for a great comment on this parodic telling of Kafka's story. I'm particularly delighted that you made the Mac/PC connection here:

... the positioning of the icons where the mouth is located makes me consider the possibility that poor Gregor is ... a Mac! How he must feel being traded in for Windows! :))

I'm hoping when someone (hint: Alek) reads this, she will seriously consider investing in making me a better writer ... by upgrading me to this MONTBLANC KAFKA pen. I'll trade in my Bic!

Now there's a thought... ;) If my little piece can bring such gifts your way that will be an added bonus.

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Hi Tony,

Thank you for moving this prose poem here and also for a great comment on this parodic telling of Kafka's story. I'm particularly delighted that you made the Mac/PC connection here:

... the positioning of the icons where the mouth is located makes me consider the possibility that poor Gregor is ... a Mac! How he must feel being traded in for Windows! :))

I'm hoping when someone (hint: Alek) reads this, she will seriously consider investing in making me a better writer ... by upgrading me to this MONTBLANC KAFKA pen. I'll trade in my Bic!

Now there's a thought... ;) If my little piece can bring such gifts your way that will be an added bonus.

On the other hand, maybe my antics will backfire on me, and I'll go the way of Gregor Samsa. :icon_eek: In any case, this prose poem really is exceptional, and I enjoyed it immensely.

Tony :icon_sunny:

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Frank E Gibbard

Bravo Golden, Kafka always a favorite with me. The queer working of his mind terrific as was your pastiche. Frank

Wow goldenlangur this is wonderful written prose piece. I am not a fan of Kafka but I like how this work of yours sound. I love the connection between the lines and your creation using the terms of technology. It's really hard to write this, I wish I make some prose piece like you do :icon_redface: .

And why Alek is hint here?:)

Very Kafka! And I'm hoping when someone (hint: Alek) reads this, she will seriously consider investing in making me a better writer ... by upgrading me to this MONTBLANC KAFKA pen. I'll trade in my Bic!

Tony :)

Tony let's hope - if you deserve, but I am wondering why you are so modest? :icon_razz: :D You are already a good writer :).

On the other hand, maybe my antics will backfire on me, and I'll go the way of Gregor Samsa. :icon_eek:

Tony :icon_sunny:

Yea that's much more reasonable and realistic. :icon_razz:

Thank you GL for this wonderful piece.

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia