Patch by patch, crystal hexagons

unscroll a silverscape.

Is it snow that decorates April,

or April that beautifies snow?

A food-searching squirrel

yields no answer.

A sudden bird's call shakes

the last snowdrops from a treetop.

Looking at Kenneth Libbrecht's images of SNOW CRYSTALS, one can certainly be drawn to contemplate nature. But, when looking at these "snow crystals," science and the spiritual seem to intermingle and create intricacies which can cause even the casual observer to wax philosophical.

"April Snow" is like that. It starts off from the perspective of the snowflake --

Gathering her last strength

she plunges to the earth

with an infinite tenderness

-- and then gradually pans out to afford the reader pause to contemplate nature's wonder:

One flake, then two, then three

dotting over pines, cypresses,

aquiver with such gentle touches.

Patch by patch, crystal hexagons

unscroll a silverscape.

yields no answer.

Is it snow that decorates April/or April that beautifies snow? While the reader "watches," s/he is compelled to reflect, as the poem successfully takes pastoral to the next level. I absolutely loved unscroll a silverscape and the food-searching squirrel. Lovely!

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Tony,

Thank you very much for your thoughtful review. I like the way how you crit a poem, which shows how thoroughly you've read it and how much thought you've put on it. I'm delighted to read "as the poem successfully takes pastoral to the next level".

One more question: Do you think the word "snowdrops" is not as precise as it can be, so it might be replaced by other words? I know it is the name of a flower but I just couldn't think of any better alternatives right now. I've used "flakes" so I don't want to repeat it.

Thanks as always.

Lake

I'm glad you liked my little mini-review, Lake. I liked your poem. :)

One more question: Do you think the word "snowdrops" is not as precise as it can be, so it might be replaced by other words? I know it is the name of a flower but I just couldn't think of any better alternatives right now. I've used "flakes" so I don't want to repeat it.

That's a tough one. I was about to say you could use "snow crystals," but you already used "crystal" to describe the hexagons. Perhaps you could use snow drops -- two words -- in lieu of snowdrops. That's how I read it anyway. You could even just say drops, dust, or flurries. Of course, if you really were referring to the flower, that's okay, too. I would just have trouble grasping how the snowdrops got into the treetops. In that case, the reader just has to be a little more flexible in granting poetic license.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Thanks Tony for coming back to it and answering my question. I think I could use the two words, snow drops.

Appreciated,

Lake

Lake this is one of your best poems, and most expressive. I enjoyed reading it.

These parts are wonderful and with a lot of sound:

yields no answer.

I love it.

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia