my sin. I climb the spiral stair

and see Harry waiting for me

beneath the singing ringing tree.

He sits upright, his eyes tied tight.

With hands as brown as clay

he drives a prayer into the beast,

and whispers this 'poet' away.

Edited by badger11

Here "the poet" is introduced, injected, into the midst of Harry and Mary. But something tells me he's not a figment of Harry's imagination; he doesn't reside in the Singing Ringing Tree, rather he's much closer to home.

The couple's ever-present guilt has waned, yet it still lingers, albeit in a diminished capacity. Its effect is like that of a heavy weight dispersed over a large area:

Later I break his bread to feed

the smallest bird; a Robin to share

my sin ...

The two seem to be have agreed to "do the right thing," to abide the time until "Harry" has parted ways with them.

The title excites me; there's something primal about it. And "his eyes tied tight" and "hands as brown as clay" are quite memorable.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Thank you Tony. Fictional writing does allow us to play God, but perhaps there is a morality/responsibility/artistic need to behave otherwise. How much manipulation? How much free will? How much society decides? How much is the individual responsible? Fated by nature or nuture? How much say does Harry have? And Mary?

badge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW-D9pObZKw

Hi Badger, I am getting hooked on poems about Mary... I like this character you have created. Now Harry I haven't figured out yet. Well I haven't figured out Mary yet either but I connect with her better than Harry. I love the imagery you can create with these two.

Eyes tied shut... Drives a prayer into the beast... This is almost morbid.

I have no way to critique this piece, it simply takes flight and I am along for the ride and I like it.

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

goldenlangur

Hi badge,

Perhaps I'm completely off the mark here but somehow the omniscience of the poet and that Harry inspires reminds me of Ted Hughes's Thought Fox.

Is Harry like Hughes's fox?

Mary scratching my back,

tell me about Harry I whisper -

I climb the spiral stair

and see Harry waiting there

beneath the singing ringing tree.

He sits upright, his eyes tied tight.

and whispers the 'poet' away.

I read this as poem about writing and inspiration - that intangible experience which no amount of rational, logical exegesis can quite convey.

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

A welcome addition to Harry/Mary set- Enjoy the poet as lover/voyeur voice and the implications on the process of writing poetry itself---

As always, Nice Work!

DC&J

This is brilliant folktale, badge. I love Harry, and Mary. They become very close to me as a reader. I feel as I know them. I looked at the link you shared, and I see it as a compact creation along with your poem. Very creative, inspirational, and full with effect.

I loved this poem.

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

Thank you Tink, Aleks, gl and Dr C. Pleased you enjoyed.

'Enjoy the poet as lover/voyeur voice and the implications on the process of writing poetry itself---'

Yes, that intrigued me most.

'Harry inspires reminds me of Ted Hughes's Thought Fox.'

This had me thinking gl. I have memorised Hughes' poem in the past and there are parallels in subject matter. The territory does interest me (Hesse's 'Steppenwolf' is a similar influence).

Drives a prayer into the beast... This is almost morbid.

Folk tales, as opposed to fairytales, can be a little more 'Grimm' like Tink!

I looked at the link you shared, and I see it as a compact creation along with your poem.

There are six episodes to follow in that link Aleks, which I think you would enjoy.

all the best

badge

• 2 weeks later...
goldenlangur
'Harry inspires reminds me of Ted Hughes's Thought Fox.'

This had me thinking gl. I have memorised Hughes' poem in the past and there are parallels in subject matter. The territory does interest me (Hesse's 'Steppenwolf' is a similar influence).

all the best

badge

I find it fascinating how we sometimes continue dialogues, if you like, with poets/writers who are seminal influences. Your mention of Steppenwolf reminds me also of how Hesse 's protagonist's journey and self-discovery quite blew me away :)

Edited by goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

very evocative and engaging. you have created a scenario that certainly set my imagination alight and i enjoyed the subtext i was able to create and enjoy from the clues and emotion you shared. i particularly love this part part of the piece:

and whispers this 'poet' away.

well written and beautiful. thank you.

To receive love, you have to give it...