Poetry Magnum Opus

Who the hell is waxwings

waxwings

I am one of the newer mebers here and given to analysis of the excellence of poems written by others, including those I have befriended through several organizations dedicated to popularization of poetry. A Latvian born naturalized US citizen I have lived In minnesota since April 1950, except for a stint with the US Army. Jack of all trades, master of none, I am, by profession a multidisciplinary engineer, physicist, mathematician and chemist whose first love is writing. I learned to read and write in several languages starting at the age of 5 or thereabouts. I am known as a good translator by those who have sought out my services. I can read in about a dozen plus languages; speak almost like a native (with most not noting an accent) in Russian, Polish , German, Latin, Italian, French, Spanish and English. Totally fluent in some but not all, mostly due to an incomplete vocabulary and lack of usage achievable only through total immersion by living where everyday practice is mandatory.

I have come to realize that all languages are totally idiomatic in structure, that is, while any idea can be translated completely, the words used and the order in which they are spoken differ wastly in spite of saying the same. I have been learning to improve my English since 1945 but did not dare to write poems in English until about 1973 for just that reason.

Someone described poetry as a condensed language using the best words in their best order vs prose which uses the 'right' words in the right order. Not sure if that is a undisputable idea, but it does say a lot about the fact that a less than most carefully chosen word or two in a otherwise most excellent poem screams for attention and distracts the reading.

I have been married for 50 plus years and have a married daughter and a son and his two grandchildren. In my better yers I was an avid participant in most any form of athletic endeavour, and a member of several internatinal and local scouting organizations.

When praising a poem I tend to avoid platitudes but have agenuine respect for all fellow writers ailing with the disease/mistress called poetry.

I am totally open to all and any remarks and suggested edits and fixes to all I post on this wonderful forum.

Happy writing to all of you. I wish I could learn to know all of you much more as time passes. Any time you have any questions feel free to rattle my chain. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the engaging bio, Ikars, for the fascinating personal, family, and career background information. Your aptitude for multiple languages, in general, is indeed remarkable, but mostly I'm impressed with your grasp of English grammar and punctuation. Nowadays, they who are well-versed (pun intended :rolleyes: ) in the same are few and far between. I would consider my mother in the same group. She, like you, was not born in America, rather she immigrated here and has what I would call a "1950's" American high school discipline in English grammar and punctuation. That, I believe, supersedes high school (perhaps even college level) English these days.

In any case, I think you're a great addition to our little group here. Your heart is certainly in the right place. Thank you for your quality, helpful participation.

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Hello,

Gopher, timber wolf, 100,000 mosquitoes!

Greetings from

10,000 lakes

And don't forget my favorite railroad: the Duluth, Missabe, and Iron Range Railway! Okay, so the secret is out ... I'm to a certain extent, a rail fan. :rolleyes: Never been there, but I have a wonderful picture book about this line.

Tony :D

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Larsen M. Callirhoe

wow waxwings. very intellectual you are. glad to know you well. i did not care about learning until i became disabled. i was a pre-med college bound working three jobs when i became paralyzed in a car wreck. school and education alluded me because i didnt persue it with a passion or interest till i broke my neck in 1996. i have one year of university (college) under my belt. served for a year in the army but got a dishonorable discharge because i don't have a interest in killing another human being. i took chorus and piano lessons when i was young. now you know more about me. i have had 21 near dear expererience.

my name is victor michael (last name not included.

Larsen M. Callirhoe