Poetry Magnum Opus

Japan Earthquake

Lake

I just woke to the news and immediately thought of Brendan and sent him a PM asking him to check in here and let us know he is OK. In the meantime, let us all keep him and his family in our prayers as well as all of the people of Japan who are living with this tragedy.

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

goldenlangur

Thank you, Lake for starting this thread.

Horrendous footage of the aftermath of the 8.9 earthquake and the 30 feet tsunami waves in the News.

Earthquakes have a frightening resonance for us in our part of the world and we can imagine only too well how devastating it must be for the people in the region.

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Frank E Gibbard

I see Brendan's comments, having wondered if he was affected. Good to hear that our colleague is OK. Frank (saying good luck to all involved) the world in union does help in such tragedies. F.

A bit worried- when you can please check in when you can

Thanks!

DC&J

Feeling a bit silly now that I have seen this post- Glad everyone's OK;-)

DC&J

No Problem, Dr. Con! I just merged the two topics (Lake's and yours). Anyway, it's good to see you.

I just got the following update from Brendan:

Hiya Tony,

This is my Back-Door blog but it tells the same story. Out of the northeastern area we are all OK and there is no need to evacuate. You can pass this on to others if you like. A lot of foreigners are leaving the country but we tend to look down on them for running away. Well, in most cases they are young and scared and under pressure from their families. Go to HERE for the link.

All the best,

Brendan

Do check in from time to time and keep us posted, Bren!

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

It's not really fair to say we look down on people for leaving the country because for the most part they don't have any ties or commitments here and come under pressure from their families back home. About a half dozen have upped stakes from our area which is under no threat whatsoever and resumed normal schedules (school, work) the day after the quake. The destruction is massive and appalling but is largely confined to the northeastern coastline which is about 600 km - 360 miles - distant. The damage to the nuclear plants is worrisome and still remains an ongoing problem more or less under control. Tokyo has been hit with power cuts (redirection of power streams to the north) and transportation problems but there is no imminent danger to the population. The overall mood is calm and rather stoic. There's a feeling that we're all in this together and there's no need to panic. It's become a matter of pride among the gaijin (foreign) population not to cut and run. All these thoughts and more are on the blog (see the link above) as I more or less try to gauge the events and feelings on a daily basis since the earthquake struck on Friday the 11th.

Thought you got rid of me, eh? Better luck next time!

All the best (also thanks for the PMs),

dedalus / Brendan

Drown your sorrows in drink, by all means, but the real sorrows can swim