and a possum

I really wouldn't mind no sop or taters

nothing himself the nothing that is

unpublished

© David W. Parsley 2011

Re. poems of Wallace Stevens

"Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird"

http://writing.upenn.edu/~afilreis/88/stevens-13ways.html

further distortions in the spirit of the age...

David W. Parsley
Captures Stevens' style, especially in that "Blackbird" poem of his. I liked tree/three and "into my minds."

Tony :)

Hi Tony, thanks for the appreciative note. This is the only stanza in my satire that explicitly pokes fun at good ol' Wally. I have always enjoyed his work even where I don't share his values. Very original use of language, very challenging outlook and perspective. But he also just asks to be lampooned, partly because of his own self-mocking phrases and tones! But when I make fun of an author's errant style or subject here, I am also dinging everybody who built on that goof. So some of the devices play to Stevens' successors, too. After all, we are talking about a 50+ year process. icon10.gif

I'll have more to say on the subject in replying to your "other" question elsewhere. It sounds like you're having fun with these. I sure am!

BTW: I mean it with the CA stuff - any suggestions?

- Dave

Hi Tony, thanks for the appreciative note. This is the only stanza in my satire that explicitly pokes fun at good ol' Wally. I have always enjoyed his work even where I don't share his values. Very original use of language, very challenging outlook and perspective. But he also just asks to be lampooned, partly because of his own self-mocking phrases and tones! But when I make fun of an author's errant style or subject here, I am also dinging everybody who built on that goof. So some of the devices play to Stevens' successors, too. After all, we are talking about a 50+ year process. icon10.gif

I'll have more to say on the subject in replying to your "other" question elsewhere. It sounds like you're having fun with these. I sure am!

BTW: I mean it with the CA stuff - any suggestions?

- Dave

I am enjoying them, Dave. I think the series itself is a novel concept. Unfortunately, I'm afraid I'm not a whole lot of use when it comes to critique for the series, because I haven't read enough of Stevens or Merwin.

There is one by Stevens that I like a lot. It's "Fabliau of Florida."

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic