just below the waves

A soft beating growing more pronounced

no more false passions erred ignorance

gloried suffering rather a single unadorned

source greater than hungry fearful thoughts

of falling discovering by grace this is how we

fly.

David W. Parsley

Seemingly builds on the notion that religion is a crutch, the existential crisis that follows such a realization. When the knowledge of god(s) is a cornerstone of one's existence, it can result in a sensation of free fall, the need to acknowledge of self reliance with a self distressingly small in the context of a universe. The poet declares an inner grace that can turn this to flight.

I think many can identify with this experience, having passed through it and survived, or persisting there. This is a poem of significance, which I will return to.

Thanks (I think!),

- Dave

Loved the title, and the poem's structure, DC.This is on of those new ones from you, IMO, and it's lovely.

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

Yes, interesting perspective, Juris. We are empty without the crutches, not the other way around as would be expected. But learning to fly is a metaphor for (everlasting) life itself.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Thanks All! I love the multi-interpretations of this- I'm just beginning to write stuff (I think is passable again). Hope this continues to influence and inspire.Many Thanks!

Juris

Thanks All! I love the multi-interpretations of this- I'm just beginning to write stuff (I think is passable again). Hope this continues to influence and inspire.Many Thanks!

Juris

Well, Juris, I hope it inspires. I was used to find an inspiration all around me, but lately it seems the inspiration became as hidden treasure for me :). I hope it's different for you :).

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

Sometimes we need a break... Sometimes the road is too hard- But it all comes back- The Hungry Ghosts become poems and the life we live becomes literature;-) Thanks Aleksandra!

Larsen M. Callirhoe

well put juris. aleks has been going thru no poem face longer then me. i have not written one in almost four months. second longest streak for me in 13 years.. how true the life we live becomes literature. i lived so much life till the day of my accident. i still have spiritual stories experiences i could write about since my accident happened, but i have a million stories i could write about stuff that occurred in my life before the accident happened. so many precious memoriesthat floodgate my mind in so much sorrow.

this poem is a great metaphor for life. well inked juris.

you and alek and all my poet friends i am so thankful for in my life. without poetry i would be a blur.

victor

Larsen M. Callirhoe

Frank E Gibbard

In passing hello again Larse (welcome back) and a big hello to DC.I don't do spiritual, but concentrating as I mostly do with style and word use. I enjoyed the fly-away "fly" at the end, appreciate the metaphor and the dialogue by others here which is interesting but not involving for my atheist's eye. Frank