Poetry Magnum Opus

Collider's Hope (about the Large Hadron Collider)

Frank E Gibbard

Frank E Gibbard

Articles proliferated on the subject ,

Debated, adumbrated, science-related.

Particles accelerated, its prospect

Unpenetrable to the lay people. How

Much!? Say people, costs-related,

Hearing of the multiple billions slated

In pursuit of a particular peculiar project

So nebulous that non-scientists stated

We're incredulous an obscure object

That negligible can be so highly rated

And valuable a matter to be worth it,

Just to shatter. The scientists interject,

Pure research is venture speculated.

Some public suspect, are circumspect

Cannot connect, find results overrated.

As the LHC's atoms collide best hope

In its returns resides as it prospects,

A speculation that the speck awaited,

This particle, gestated to a perfect pearl.

Larsen M. Callirhoe

frank i have been following this since before its inception and opening in late 2008. the first time at it failed, but glad that kept at. i received populatr science till mid 90's so i knew they were building it then. i waited a dozed years for it to be biult and another 10 years to be put on line and 4 years later they discover the higgs boson particle. i saw a picture of it on a camera. wow what a treat and sight to see. it was shining likea bright star. i am taking oceanography in college currently. all i wanna talk abot is this. this means allot to me to validate the scoience community to religious zealots,. i have 2 more science classesto take in ftre classes frank. i think i am going to take biology and then marine biology. chemisty and physics scare me a little lol. i might go for my masters which is a six year degree. i want to take moneyof my own and take a few classes off my cirriculum including european spanish poetry and italian poetry including stuff about the opra. your poem is a winner frank. thank you for sharing. the money spent on this contrapcation was more than worth it.

victor aka larsen

victor aka larse

Larsen M. Callirhoe

Tight rhyming here, me oul' mucker! Very good indeed.

Drown your sorrows in drink, by all means, but the real sorrows can swim

Following a traffic accident, Larsen, I was initially completely immobile and then confined to a wheelchair for the last two months and more. I have the prospect of recovering (through chance alone) but I want to tell you that now, finally, I do understand. Everything comes down to mental strength, fighting back, and refusing to give in.

Drown your sorrows in drink, by all means, but the real sorrows can swim

David W. Parsley

Let me enthusiastically second: Bravo to the LHC team!! What a contribution to the body of knowledge comprising the current state of quantum mechanics. There still is much to do, but what a significant step forward, validating what was previously only a mathematical necessity, joining the elite company that includes the location and existence of Uranus, Maxwell's displacement current, Fresnel lensing, black holes, and other predictions.

Perhaps I am in the minority, but my scientific, artistic, and religious zeal are all bound up in a single package (hope that doesn't too badly damage anybody's stereotype set). I, too, have been watching with an agony of anticipation for this breakthrough (with a twinge of jealously given the USA's cancellation of our own project back in the early '90s). It is good to see a true craftsman like yourself, take the subject on, Frank. Unusually fine and striking metaphor characterizes the elusive particle's discovery only after a labored "gestation" taken to full term, worked and stressed to produce "a perfect pearl" in the treasury of human thought and experience!

Well Done!

- Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Frank, I remember first reading about this fascinating project, and I'll echo Dave's enthusiasm in your crafting a poem about it. This one of many novel and unexpected subjects you've adeptly taken on in your poems.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic