Poetry Magnum Opus

Online magazines

badger11

I've never contributed to online poetry magazines, but this week I have made three submissions. Why? Perhaps it is a kind of validation, though there is not the interest of feedback available on forums.

Does anyone elsewhere make submissions to these magazines?

badge

Badge, I would buy a book of your poems. I have often thought that you should be published. So let me know when there is one out there.

As far as online magazines, your work will get exposure that will probably never happen here. That's a good thing. And it always impressive to see 1st place winner of ..... ~~smile~~ I haven't made any submissions, being published has never been my goal, but I have been solicited and gave permission to 3 different online magazines to use my poems over the years. Salamander Magazine is the most recent, (October 2012 I think). They have used 3 of my poems, only 1 of the 3 was a poem I would think publish worthy. The editor asking loved a little verse form poem I wrote stricly as an example of an invented form and which I have never shared other than on the verse form page. She found it there in an internet search. I don't know how widely these magazines are read nor do I know their credentials but it is flattering to be approached.

~~Tink

ps... I have to admit I would like to have my research on The Craft of Writing published but my paper copy of the reference section is over 900 pages long using small print and I have no academic credential to draw others to buy my work. Who would publish such a long volume of work with no credentials to back up the research? But posting it here in this place it is googled all of the time, there are college professors who have found the site and give the link to their students as an authoritative source. I guess in book form you have to cough up the titles and diplomas but people believe anything they read free online. The sad part is my work is copied and pasted all over the internet without any reference back here which ticks me off sometimes as you know. Even published poets have included a cut and paste of my words as intro to their poems. My rant of the day.

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

ps... I have to admit I would like to have my research on The Craft of Writing published but my paper copy of the reference section is over 900 pages long and I have no academic credential to draw others to buy my work. Who would publish such a long volume of work with no credentials to back up the research? But posting it here in this place it is googled all of the time, there are college professors who have found the site and give the link to their students as an authoritative source. I guess in book form you have to cough up the titles and diplomas but people believe anything they read free online. The sad part is my work is copied and pasted all over the internet without any reference back here which ticks me off sometimes as you know. Even published poets have included a cut and paste of my words as intro to their poems. My rant of the day.

The good thing is it was published here first, Tink. The forum software doesn't lie. The dates and times the information was posted is archived here for anyone to see.

(I'll move this from General to Literary Discussion.)

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Larsen M. Callirhoe

i have had a few of my works printed in online magazines. the magazine sold less then a 1000 issues sadly. i have written several articles for this magazine also. imagine someone reading my subpar writings lol... that they paid for hehe. badge you are one of my top 10 favorite poets. you are very nifty. take care.

victor

Larsen M. Callirhoe

hi Tink

Perhaps you could submit your work as a thesis for a Phd. to a university.

On a more general point, the poem 'Ghost Dance' has been accepted by a magazine for their June publication, would it therefore be possible to have a closed section for those poems submitted for publication?

badge

On a more general point, the poem 'Ghost Dance' has been accepted by a magazine for their June publication, would it therefore be possible to have a closed section for those poems submitted for publication?

Badge, we normally move the entire topic to a hidden section of the board. Any time you want this done, just let us know. We can then restore the poem/topic to the public board whenever you decide. I'll move "Ghost Dance" now since it has been accepted. Just let us know when you want it moved back.

And don't forget about the Promotions forum. When your work is published, make a topic there. Include a link to the publication, its website, etc. I see nothing wrong with promoting the publications that publish our members' works.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Hi Badge, Congratulations, let us know the name of the magazine. I can't imagine any magazine not accepting your work. You really are a gifted poet.

Your question which has been answered by Tony brings up another question. Is this necessary? The online magazines that asked my permission to use my poems already knew the poems had been posted here first, this is where they found them. Salamander Magazine has even asked if they could come back and use more of my work in the future, they didn't specify which ones. I think they are looking for poems that fit their theme of the month or something like that. I only say that because 2 of my poems selected were about horses and they matched one of my poems with a painting of horses in their publication. It didn't seem to bother them that the poems were here first, nor did they ask me to take them down. But, although the editor complimented me on my work in the reference section on poetic genres and forms and in my bio I gave a great plug for this forum, they didn't include any mention of PMO in their publication which disappointed me.

LOL, a PHD? Wouldn't I have to have a BA and then an MA first ? I completed my Freshman year of college but I didn't have the money to continue (this was before student loans were so readily available) so I went to work for an insurance company to save up enough to go back. I was months from my planned return to school when I met my husband and got married instead. That was 50 years ago in November. I am still married to him and I've had a successful career (I've had my own insurance agency for 32 years), no regrets. In a matter of weeks I'll be 72 and I am too busy to go back to school now.

The only reason I thought I would like the research published is I am really connected to it and I feel it has some value that others might use in the future. As far as I can tell, it is the largest consolidated encylopedia dedicated to craft of writing poetry out there.. The NPEOPP has much more detail regarding the history but it doesn't cover as broad a subject range nor does it give "how to" instructions with examples nor does it use laymen's language. I am hoping that one day when they are ready, one of my grandchildren will be interested and make use of my knowlege . I love the idea of one of my kids sending up a little prayer, "Thanks grandma", long after I am no longer with them.

Posted here is great! Every thing is on line now, the young don't want to pick up a heavy book but once it is printed it exists forever. But in many ways posting online is actually better than a book because I am able to provide links to definitions and examples which I can't provide in book form, but these forums last only as long as their owners do. Thank God Tony is much younger than me so this site will continue after I'm gone. But after him, someone will have to pick up the mantle (who?) or all of this information will just be so many pixals in the sky. That saddens me.

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Thanks Tony. Magazines have different policies so I'm being cautious. When the publication comes out in June I'll post a link.

badge

• 1 year later...

As some will know, I've been dabbling with submissions to online mags. I've just had a quick glance at the workshop and noticed that none of my poems have had an acceptance from mags. A reflection on the use of metre? Or a reflection on my use of meter? :laugh:

As some will know, I've been dabbling with submissions to online mags. I've just had a quick glance at the workshop and noticed that none of my poems have had an acceptance from mags. A reflection on the use of metre? Or a reflection on my use of meter? :laugh:

Badge, I don't think it has to do with meter or your use of meter. I mean, if some publication never publishes a metrical poem, then probably it wouldn't publish any metrical poem. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if deciders at many (or most) publications publish their regular contributors' submittals, specifically ones from (or recommended by) their families and friends. :dry::laugh:

hi Tony

I haven't come across nepotism (to my knowledge). I have come across the regular contributor syndrome!

cheers

badge

• 2 weeks later...

I intend to publish "PTSD and Other Lives" on Amazon Kindle. Any proceeds will go to a needy combat veteran of my choosing. The procedure is tedious but free, and the author sets the price.