Poetry Magnum Opus

Tennis? (sorry this may be too parochially British in references)

Frank E Gibbard

Frank E Gibbard

Anyone for tennis?
Wimbledon is on.
So is the media's
annual obsession
whose gross set
of knowledge has
as many holes as
the average net.

When Murray is
done so is their
bit a fortnight's fun.
Not alas a lack of
space-fillers for
Rooney'll surely
be back doing nil
of consequence
to report on but
we always will yet.
Oh and the Royals
they never go away
hip hooray hooray!
Cheers and beers
all round ye happy
hacks, Pyms done
its bunk for a year.

Such a small (Katy)
price to pay keep
taking the tabloids
every day, Page 3
will never die still
poking in the eye.
Now if there was a
British Sharapova
and they didn't all
look like yer Clare
Balding and a bit
more like Will's
tasty bird. Rats and
drainpipes matey
all day ... werrhay.

Wimbledon again Frank with all the usual "silly season" ritual.. and the nearest we English get to winning is for the press to claim Andy Murray (a Scot) as British :-)

I see an interesting development in Frank's poetry with run-on lines, Yes, Andy Murray is British, and so was Richard Harris when he was up for an Oscar. When he was arrested for drunken affray he was described as Irish ... :smile:

Drown your sorrows in drink, by all means, but the real sorrows can swim

Not a tennis fan, nor a watcher of most athletic events, except when Tiger Woods is on the leader board. I have seen several fatheaded Americans make a spectacle like spoiled brats do, and I like strawberries and cream. That's the limit of my knowledge of Wimbledon. Boring as watching corn grow. Still, I like your observations, Frank, and think of Wimbledon as the Masters of golf. What I hate, no matter the country, is the privileges accorded to those who have achieved nothing but fame. But that's likely the uncouth Yank in me. I think Richard Harris was a great actor, especially in Westerns like "The Unforgiven." I like the parochial language here, as fitting for the subject.

Love this Frank. I like tennis. Wimbelton is on the screen at my house right now , watching women's semifinals. I like the all white tradition of Wimbleton, it has class. It almost seems like Wimbleton has been on 24 hours a day for over a week now. But we broke it up today with watching a volleyball game between US and Bulgaria, Bulgaria won which was disheartening on US Independance Day, USA should have won! Today every American is a patriot.

My husband and I used to play doubles with friends when we were younger but not so much anymore. I haven't played in over 10 years other than hitting the ball around with my granddaughters on the park court. The girls are pretty good. Their other grandma works and plays at a Tennis club and they have been to Tennis camp every year for the last few years.

Write all of the tennis poems you want Frank. The shortlines and run on strophes kind of felt like the rhythm of a match.

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com