Poetry Magnum Opus

Seebackroscope (Tykes)

Benjamin

It was a prized possession (at least in Smudge's mind) that let him spot the odd assassin sneaking up behind. Peeping round street corners, checking the coast was clear from grown-ups--- and to warn us when the enemy was near. Scouting the Sweet-shop-man's set ways and when he brewed his tea; then Smudge would give a little wave for Peewee, Jim 'n' me. To sneak into the shop with ease: careful not to ring the bell-- swipe a gob-stopper apiece and run like bloody hell! Then---off a-stalking next doors cat ('cos it led our cat a dance!) To shoot hard paper pellets at with sturdy rubber bands. But her next door soon spoilt our fun: she didnt like us at all; cursed and swore and a full pail slung-- of water--- over our wall. Smudge (wet) peeped with his gadget: and we didn't have long to wait before he said to us, guess what? No latch on her back gate! She pegged out washing cursing louder, then disappeared indoors; so we sprinkled itching powder in her wind-blown under-clothes. Next day she's knocking at our front door and swearing at me dad. He slammed it shut and furthermore told her that she was mad. We laughed to think o' that big red face and her a-scratching hard; its a beggar when you can't feel safe inside your own back yard.

G, this was so much fun! I've read it several times; you're not a guilty soul, are you? Love the rhythm, a distinctive cadence, but without the sing-songy of some rhymes. Nice, indeed.

t

Not guilty ma'am. It's just one of many dialectic anecdotes I wrote some years ago. I've quelled the colloquial language though as it doesn't travel well. I thought it might lighten the mood... after all it is the silly season when our politicians have disappeared for their extensive annual jollies. Thanks. G.

Hoodlum. :)

We had names for the likes! / ;-)

from the black desert