must not invade

my couch of jade

in this voided glade

this bed I made

in which I fade ...

A grim fairy tale, this.

from the black desert

No fairy tales allowed, GK. Thanks.

But fairy tales ease the pain of reality . . .

from the black desert

I love the short, speedy lines that belie a LOT of emotion. I hope that was cathartic for you, and, as always, I hope you are well. (I leave for TX around Oct 18 - pray for me, Dear Lord, pray for me in Texas.) Keep writing, dude.

A plain language piece that in its way reminds me of "The Conversation of Prayer" by Dylan Thomas. Sombre yet meaningful. G.

Thank you Juris and Geoff. Existential, yes, but somewhat pragmatic also. I thought while writing, something like: "Go gentle into that dark night." Why not? If I only knew the meaning of gentle. ;)

Well, I do like this! Very unlike most of what you post. I agree, more truth than fairy tale. The rhymed lines, one after the other create a sense of urgency, that caused me to read it quite rapidly, first time through, requiring additional reads. Changed my mind, I love it. Very, very nice.

t

Thanks for the good wishes, Marti. When you get to TX, wear snake-skin boots and drink Pearl beer and you'll be okay. Don't talk. ;)

Tam, don't know what got into me. Rhyming for god's sake! I think someone wrote a Sonata on the subject, and of course some talented rhyming poets. Anyone my age who doesn't see that eternal bunk waiting is likely already brain dead. Still, we find it hard to accept the inevitable, even those who think they have 72 virgins waiting. Now that would be hell! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

You must have been listening to some Eminem when you penned this, Franklin. The pace of the poem seems to intensify almost to the point of aggression in the penultimate verse, mitigated by self-censure in the ultimate.

I always enjoy your submissions. Also very much liked: "Intellect" and "Discovery."

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic