Poetry Magnum Opus

Having boudain for breakfast

dcmarti1

Having boudain for breakfast, or crying in my eggs

The years have been but twenty-six
Yet still I cannot find that place
Of wood, of mist, of crown and tricks,
Where you're the prince who hid his face.

The troubadours can sing of time
And every light-filled, portioned space,
For any room will be sublime
Where you're the prince who hides his face.

The warship's travels could not strike
Upon my love nor it disgrace:
My past and future -both alike-
Where you're the prince who'll hide his face.

The song “These Dreams” by Heart was the inspiration for the repeating end line of this kyrielle. I took the liberty of changing the verb "hide" to its 3 tenses. A 2002 remake, even more beautiful than the 80s original:

Very Enjoyable -- from beginning to end and the title and structure a delight!

Nice tired Monday smile!

Juris

Thanks! I wanted the title to be as indirect or abstract as to the real intent of the poem: unrequited love. I heard the song on an oldies station the other day; first time in, well, decades. The IDEA came immediately, but the rhyme took a bit. ;)

A bonus in getting to know poets, is how their choice of words reveals their past and passions. It's likely we all could identify the writing of others without a signature. For me, Marti, this stanza should be named "Marti."

Oh, the poem is very lyrical. Nice work.

A bonus in getting to know poets, is how their choice of words reveals their past and passions. It's likely we all could identify the writing of others without a signature. For me, Marti, this stanza should be named "Marti."

Oh, the poem is very lyrical. Nice work.

And an "oh, thank you" to you. :)

You, sir, are gracious.

Don't you think you should change your handle to TexMarti? ;)

Don't you think you should change your handle to TexMarti? ;)

DC could mean Deacon Canon, both of which ordinations I hold. I HAVE to be back in Texas for some family responsibilities, I don't WANT to be here.....

txmarti1.....not in this or any of the parallel universes. :)

Marti, I hope you did not take my response to your poem as being flippant. If so, I apologize. Not my intent.

Oh, NO!! :)

I was just stressing how much I would rather be in my other home of DC. No offense taken. W. Somerset Maugham said, "The only thing that offends me is cruelty."

Take care, mon frere.

Marti

Frank E Gibbard

I found this a wonderful example of rhyme and rhythm much to my liking, well done Marti. Frank

I found this a wonderful example of rhyme and rhythm much to my liking, well done Marti. Frank

Thank you, Frank. Glad you enjoyed.

A subtle, well crafted and meaningful piece. I like the choice of language and title... enjoyed the song, like the poem, more than once. :smile: G.

A subtle, well crafted and meaningful piece. I like the choice of language and title... enjoyed the song, like the poem, more than once. :smile: G.

Yo, G. Thanks.

I am sure the Wilson sisters of the band Heart were more enjoyable to look at than my mug. :)

Very nice, indeed! I'm glad you spent time on the rhymes since they make all the difference.

Drown your sorrows in drink, by all means, but the real sorrows can swim

Very nice, indeed! I'm glad you spent time on the rhymes since they make all the difference.

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed.

Very lovely, Marti. I'm excited that a song was instrumental (pun intended) in the composition of this poem. Music means a lot to me, too, and often inspires me.

The poem definitely says unrequited love, but there's also a sense of being at ease with oneself, one's feelings and decisions, especially when it comes to the warship and the past/future references. The warship especially I can almost positively conclude is something drawn from the author's personal history.

Yes, I'm old enough to remember when this song and others by these veteran rockers were new. :blush: Wait, there's nothing wrong with that! :-8)

Tony :rolleyes:

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

The warship especially I can almost positively conclude is something drawn from the author's personal history.

Tony :rolleyes:

Warship.....I was, we were, in the Navy together on a ship in Norfolk. Devastating and unrequited love.