Mad men

Yestereve a lamp rose and dived into darkness,

people drank and discussed

Socrates beside it.

Aleksandra
Mad men

Very wise lines Summ. The word yestereve sounds and works interesting. It's nice to see how you involve the name of Socrates in this part. This reminded me of one book " Sophia's World " by Jostein Gaarder.

Thanks Summ, I hope I will read some more of you soon.

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

I agree with Alek. "Yestereve" works well. The lamp rose and dove into darkness, as if questioning itself and confronting the unknown.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

goldenlangur

Hi summayya,

This poem has the feel of a dream. The mingling of the "lamp" with "darkness" and "Socrates" give a sense of searching for meaning or perhaps even "truth" in the Socratic sense the underlying note being the price he paid with his own life.

It's been awhile since I've come across this wonderful word "yestereve" - Hardy used this in his work.

Melancholy note in this poem.

I could well be off the mark.

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Mad men

Very wise lines Summ. The word yestereve sounds and works interesting. It's nice to see how you involve the name of Socrates in this part. This reminded me of one book " Sophia's World " by Jostein Gaarder.

Thanks Summ, I hope I will read some more of you soon.

Aleksandra

Thanks Alek. "Sophie's World" is a wonderful book mingling history and fiction to make it a very enjoyable read. I am glad you liked "yestereve", I like that word alot. =)

I agree with Alek. "Yestereve" works well. The lamp rose and dove into darkness, as if questioning itself and confronting the unknown.

Tony

I like your reading of the poem tony. Thanks for reading and commenting. Much appreciated.

Hi summayya,

This poem has the feel of a dream. The mingling of the "lamp" with "darkness" and "Socrates" give a sense of searching for meaning or perhaps even "truth" in the Socratic sense the underlying note being the price he paid with his own life.

It's been awhile since I've come across this wonderful word "yestereve" - Hardy used this in his work.

Melancholy note in this poem.

I could well be off the mark.

goldenlangur

Not at all off the mark gl. And yes it is sad that we can discuss Socrates for ages but don't understand what he lived and died for...

As always its a pleasure to read what you have written. Many thanks.

yestereve is not a word.

Better check your dictionary, Jonathan. icon_surprised.gif Mine says that it is ...

yesterevening also yestereve n. The evening of yesterday.

(from The American Heritage College Dictionary)

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Frank E Gibbard

I like "yestereve" too S., I said before somewhere in another Galaxy, Frank.

Hi summayyah, This poem is so uncluttered. Concrete imagery that leads us to the abstract that is concrete in its presentation. A circle. Awesome.

Words are so interesting.... yestereve is a great word with a great sound but I don't like its look, it trips my mind as I read it. "yester-eve" looks better to me but of course according to the dictionary that would be incorrect. hmmmm

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com