Poetry Magnum Opus

the mermaids plea

eclipse

A mermaid with a moon tattoo wakes on the beach after dreaming about fire, she finds an empty hourglass, sees some burning driftwood looks into the flames and sees that the fire is dreaming about her-she discovers that she cannot return to her former state as a mermaid, makes a plea to fellow mermaids for help.

"None of you have encountered the arid idle incantations or the shoddiness of their songs, if i am captured their capacities will not be great enough to appreciate my limitless enchantments. I have passed the man with the moon in his eyes and cured his indigestion of the soul-he has strung his musical pearls between the moon and earth, he will i believe be investigated by angels seeking intimacy and the mechanics of his melodies.

I heard the reaper collecting apples as two towers collapsed-I remember how we kept him away from damaged ships with the power of our songs. I have listened to a sphinx singing songs no one could hear waiting in vain for a man on a cross to reappear. I have heard ghosts whistling shantys in caves and robins tempting me to forgotten graves.

Sceptics don't believe in mermaids, Blake called science the tree of death, Einstein said imagination is more important than knowledge, for knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world and all there ever will be to know and understand".

Larsen M. Callirhoe

Excellent writing Eclipse. I really truly enjoyed reading this crafty adventure. You make an excellent observation at the end of the piece which I feel is very true in my own humble honest opinion. For those that believe in only science I believe it is a safe way to believe for those that don't walk by faith in higher powers. As we are all free to believe as we want and wish people would let it rest on both sides of the coin because of freewill and free agency. Thank you for sharing such an engaging writing.

Much enjoyed....

victor aka larsen...

Larsen M. Callirhoe

There are those who believe that imagination is the true reality, for it transcends age, circumstance and things too numerous to mention. It's only boundaries being an individual's ability to surf the waves.... I'm reading Terry Pratchet's "The Long War" at the moment, from his" Long Earth" series; which proves (to me anyway) that imagination, like many things, is not a prerogative of the young.

This is really good:

he will i believe be investigated by angels seeking intimacy and the mechanics of his melodies.

Concur with the above comments on Einstein.....

I, too, appreciate the Einstein reference. It ties it all together, even unto the beginning:

A mermaid with a moon tattoo wakes on the beach after dreaming about fire, she finds an empty hourglass, sees some burning driftwood looks into the flames and sees that the fire is dreaming about her ...

!!!

Are we awake or are we dreaming?

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic