(Is this a poem or rubbish?)

Aleksandra
What Then

"For the sake of happiness,

go for it!"

Having made up the mind,

why the sorrow?

Ah there is wonderful poem. Short, strong, meaningful. Poem with advice, poem with energy what can make you UP if you are down.

Lake, is this a poem or rubbish?Not at all. It's wonderful.

Thank you very much for giving us pleasure to read this one.

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

What Then

"For the sake of happiness,

go for it!"

Having made up the mind,

why the sorrow?

It's certainly a poem, Lake. Though short, it's working on several levels.

The first two lines are in quotes. That could indicate that they were uttered by someone to the narrator or by the narrator to someone else. Perhaps they even appeared on one of those corporate motivational posters or in a self-help book.

The third and fourth line exhibit an outcome and present a question. There is sadness, and you use the article the in lieu of a possessive pronoun when referring to the mind. This leaves certain things up to the reader. Did the narrator make up her mind? Did someone else make up his mind? Was it bad advice? Is the narrator depressed? In my mind, these unanswered questions make this a poem, because I am challenged to contemplate these very things.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Thank you, Aleksandra for your positives. Glad you find some meaning in it.

And feel free to critique my works as what you do to Tony's. icon_biggrin.png

Thanks again.

Lake

Tony,

You are, I have to say, awesome. You read my mind very well by analyzing line by line and even word by word. I showed this to a few of my friends and they said to me they didn't get it. Then I thought this one must be bad, that's why I posted it here for another opinion. Be it good or bad, someone understands it. That's enough, I'm glad.

Many thanks.

Lake

i think the way you wrote is the bloody good!

life is too much simple and rational but we, the human being make it complexer because we have plenty of options but don't know the future.

we love to smile and hate to be shocked. that's why run for happiness never ends. most of us are dissatisfied for what we have and the decision we take is not always right.

perhaps someone says if you are sure you will be happy then go for it, otherwise you won't live this one.But when time to go, something grabs behind. what it is: love or responsibility or gratefulness?

Human being is such a creep and confused and the whole thing you have narrated in just four lines!

so what it would be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!you should know....what you have written!

Larsen M. Callirhoe

hi lake,

very good. short and compact and right to the point. this poem is miltifasciated and multilayed and speaks to me also on several layers. you bring up a very valid condrum in your poem. you made up your descision so why be sorrowful over it. as the old saying goes in the book of solomon or the book of ecclestiatics it says all you can do in life is eat, drink, and be merry. so i believe you wrestle with the descion yiou mae. don't ponder it. there is only do or do not thre is no try o you have alreadu failed what you have been trying to do. yoda the jedi master said this in empire strikes back tho my version is not the direct quote. the funny thing about the word jedi is that iy is stort for jedidiah and the words both of them mean friend of god. unteresting isn't it.

Larsen M. Callirhoe

Hi Lake, your poem has a haiku-like brevity. The contrast of the question and the concluding question is a powerful mix.

"Words are not things, and yet they are not non-things either." - Ann Lauterbach