What of Mother Teresa using

up her life that others might live?

Where was her vanity?

If I spend my life slopping hogs

and take pride in raising food

for my family, am I a lesser man?

When I chose to embroil myself in the killing

of those proclaimed a threat

to my country, was I remiss in integrity?

Add your own lives.

The questions seem to balance between talent, ambition, endeavour, the pursuit of excellence, and a defense of everyday mediocrity, with the implied message that both are equally OK. I don't think you really believe that. I liked the way you slipped in the stanza about "the killing/ of those I am taught are a threat/ to my country". That "I am taught" interjection makes all the difference! Nice to see you back writing new stuff.

Bren

Drown your sorrows in drink, by all means, but the real sorrows can swim

An ancient belief that we are immortal as long as our names are remembered, has been with us since the dawn of civilization. The attitude has persisted through monuments, literature, art, science, conflict and popular culture, right to the present day. Significant names of the past, present and even the future, were, are, and will still be buoyed up by proxy... of the anonymous yet necessary masses. It's an integral feature of humanity.. to want to "get on".. to feel unique; to have a voice, even if it creates a symbiotic grooming that results in social inequality. . I read an amusing quote the other day, attributed to the actor Peter O' Toole: "When did I realise I was god?... Well, I was praying and suddenly realised I was talking to myself." ....... Now look what you've started! :biggrin: Geoff.

Thanks be to all. My vanity rises with your thoughtful comments, and I bask in thinking I made you think. I write little, but sometimes these little oddities sneak out. Seems we all see our uniqueness as better than those "commoners." ;) Bren, you are wrong--as usual: I do enjoy the finer things in life, literature, Monet and Van Gogh, an aged wine--but I have come to see the value in the old farmer out by the river who creates beautiful fields of corn and soybeans, the guy who mows my lawn and repairs everything I break, the Mexicans who can top out a tree and stay within my budget. I've yet to meet the man who doesn't like to be complimented on whatever his endeavor. The reverse is the one who deems his life superior to all others. Kinda like the Irelanders. Smile.

That last "Even if" is troublesome. But who said poetry was safe?

A thought-provoker here, Paco.

DCM1, Have revised that wording that seemed to jar both you and Bren. I'm sure I could find better areas to explore, since only I can answer. No doubt we all have our regrets as well as pride. I should listen more.

Paco! Frank! I meant troubling LITERALLY, not Literarily. Troubling as in a real existential way. Good poetry that.....

Marti

DCM1, Have revised that wording that seemed to jar both you and Bren. I'm sure I could find better areas to explore, since only I can answer. No doubt we all have our regrets as well as pride. I should listen more.

Understood, even along with Bren's always cogent observations. I now think it was a mistake to involve myself personally in an observation about the foibles of humanity, even though I are one. ;)

Badger, I believe you got it exactly in a meeting of our minds: "No doubt our lives will shape our answers." Yes, we change with time, but we all meet both humble and vain, and perhaps we all are both. I think I'm babbling again.

My thanks, Barry. I love the intellectual discourse ignited here, but I truly think this one is lacking in poetic value. I am fortunate to have access to thinkers.

I think you'd like Japan. Public behavior is always courteous, repairs are practically instantaneous (and necessary, considering all the earthquakes and typhoons); everybody takes his or her job seriously no matter what it is, and service is impeccable particularly in stores and restaurants. I now find it disconcerting when visiting Europe or the States to find staff members goofing off, ignoring customers and chatting to friends on their mobile phones! I think this ties in with your praise of humble tasks well done.

Cheers, the Arrogant Irelander

Drown your sorrows in drink, by all means, but the real sorrows can swim

1967, got an R&R to Okinawa. My navigator and I chose two girls/women at a club and took them to dinner at a great restaurant, all of us talking gibberish but having a good time. When we dropped them back at the club, untouched, they were astounded. One of the best dates I ever had. I remember the juke box playing "What is War For?"