basketball court desire

for a game overwhelms the

fugitive reality of locked waters

Last week a spider hung from our

porch blowing gently in the breeze

Alone born too soon her hunger

tempers our frailty.

:

Catches the uncertainty of the seasons perfectly. We've learnt to take the rough with the smooth here and fortunately, have had an unusually mild winter. Good to read that (a reluctant) Spring is imminent on your frigid coast. Much enjoyed.

• 1 month later...
David W. Parsley

Hi doc, just had to comment on this one, but gave it a few reads first. I really like the balance of economy with originality of image and phrasing. Everything belongs. Most striking is the recurring theme of an inhibited onset of spring realized in a variety of symbols. It is a vivid rendering of the tenacious legacy of an expiring generation constraining the hopes of a newer one. The emergent spider spins its innocent web, children scrape at the playing area surface, all to no avail, their hungers and yearnings striving without gaining purchase. Even Spring has its reserve of flurries inherited from winter. You can feel it!

If I may, I would like to comment on the line (3) preparing that last reference: may I recommend further re-working of the refreshed bromide? Don't delay the "rescue" to the following line. Eliminate "with all" and bring up "its flurries" to the same line, or replace with something better preparing your fresh and startling use. (And why does "3" mean better than "three"? Still mulling that one.)

And since I am commenting, please take another few looks at the final line. It has a close-but-no-cigar feeling for me. It should be the crowning epiphany, and it almost is. Perhaps it is the word "by" that troubles me: I don't believe it?

Or just ignore those comments and delight in the poem as it is. I do!

Thank You,

- Dave

David W. Parsley

Coming back appreciatively: "desire" and "hunger" bend the ends of their lines, anchors achingly in sway on the poem's movement. This is just so nice.

Thank You David! I'm going to take your excellent suggestions seriously... Lets see what emerges.... Many, many Thanks!

Juris

• 3 weeks later...
David W. Parsley

Hi doc, just coming back to read admiringly again. I should mention that at each reading I feel the way the phrase "locked waters" lands in the poem like an ice floe backing up opportunities of the burgeoning season. Oh, and I do like the changes a lot, thank you for the credit.

Take Care,

- Dave