goldenlangur

goldenlangur

wet October noon

a surprise package arrives -

Marquez's masterpiece

I wander through Macondo

smell almonds and oregano

Notes:

A friend sent me a copy of the Colombian writer, Marquez's A Hundred Years of Solitude - just the book to lift the cold wet days and sleepless nights.

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Hi Golden,

Your feeling is very well expressed here. I once had the same experience of receiving a surprise package. I can feel what you feel. The words "Macondo", "oregano" sound really good. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the reminiscence.

Lake

I read about Macondo, GL. The almonds and oregano before the rainfall?

"Words are not things, and yet they are not non-things either." - Ann Lauterbach

Aleksandra
wet October noon

Marquez's masterpiece

I wander through Macondo

Notes:

A friend sent me a copy of the Colombian writer, Marquez's A Hundred Years of Solitude - just the book to lift the cold wet days and sleepless nights.

goldenlangur

GL. You are the best tanka - writer icon_smile.gif

It is almost unbelievable how good you are handling with all these words and expressions. I love how it sounds this tanka.

Thank you for sharing with us GL

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

I had to Wiki the author and the novel, Golden. It's fascinating that one of the key themes in the work you mention (and his other works) is solitude. That excites me because, in some way, it's a theme in my own work.

I like how your poem serves as a vivid reminder that literature can take the reader to another world -- wherever s/he would like to go.

goldenlangur wrote:

wet October noon

Marquez's masterpiece

I wander through Macondo

Thanks for including the footnote. Poems like this one, which contain literary references, open up new worlds to less experienced readers like myself.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

goldenlangur

Hi Lake,

Nothing delights more than a surprise and Marquez's masterpiece work was indeed a most pleasant surprise! Thank you for sharing your own memories of a similar experience.

You're right - there's an echo effect in Macondo/oregano and the tropical abundance and drama of this fictional town in the Colombian depths had me truly enthralled.

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

goldenlangur

How wonderful JoelJosol that you too remember Marquez's magical place in the tropical depths of Colombia - yes the heady smells in the heat is what filled my sleepless head as I read into the wee hours.

Thank you,

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

You're too generous in your compliment about my tanka writing efforts, Aleksandra!

I'm very happy that you enjoyed this piece. Yes, you're spot on - the tanka is a form that I find most rewarding in expressing all kinds of experiences.

With grateful thanks,

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Aleksandra

Golden I love your tanka poems, but I can't hide that I miss your haibuns also. I love how good you are will all these forms. I always look forward to read your work, my friend

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

goldenlangur

You're on to a master craftsman in his art in Marquez, Tony!

How wonderful that solitude holds a great charge for you too in your work.

Marquez's story of many generations of the fictional Buendia certainly takes one into a world, beliefs, experiences, landscape and people quite far removed from our own daily lives; yet their births, deaths, loves, betrayal seem the very stuff of what we go through.

You're being modest when you say you're an 'inexperienced reader' - your references and use of the classic poetic forms attests to your wide and varied readings in fields, I would definitely confess ignorance.

But thank you for your thoughtful review - gives me much to think and write.

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

How very kind you're indeed Aleksandra!

It's been a while since I've written a haibun but yes, these Japanese forms are most inspirational and I appreciate your lovely compliment and great support for my writing.

Bless you!

goldenlangur

goldenlangur