Poetry Magnum Opus

A wise and measured joy

dcmarti1

A poetry workbook I once read suggested finding a snippet, a line, a title, etc., and use that to start a poem. I am reading some of the Georges Simenon detective novels, and that phrased just simply SCREAMED at me. Attribute it to being maudlin.....and a Europhile. I also rarely write one sentence poems....trying to free myself.

A wise and measured joy *

Among weeds as high as your waist,
among wildflowers with names and colors
your tongue will never be able to sing,
among the foam of rivers that are
as brown and as cold as the pivo,
among the silent and shaded paths
strewn with bales of hay,
among the mountain lawns that will not
be mowed in an urban fashion,
a forgotten Trabant hides behind
an equally forgotten barn,
your foreign symbol for a native sign
of a wise and measured joy
to a people that are their own again,
to a family that never ceased to be.

* Georges Simenon in Un Crime en Hollande

PS A Trabant was a car produced in East Germany. This happened in my visit to the Sumava Mountains in Czechia. Oh, pivo is beer. :)

David W. Parsley

Hi dc, I experienced similar joys on a recent 2.5 week trip to the Andalusia region of Spain and to Tuscany. This poem resonates with how it all felt to me, this first trip to Europe, particularly Granada and the Tuscan countryside. I could definitely become a Europhile, too!

I was intrigued by your tribute to "a people that are their own again" and "family that never ceased to be." Not sure I understand, but I admire the cadence and language.

Thank you,

- Dave

A people that are their own again: The Czech people, free from the Iron Curtain and Warsaw Pact.

A family that never ceased to be: My hosts. They endured oppression, as they are about my age (maybe 2 years younger). Their son had an internship in DC and rented my spare bedroom. The meaning was "they never ceased being their own" even IN that oppression. (Fun fact: the dad and I were in our respective militaries at the same time.)

Hi dc, I experienced similar joys on a recent 2.5 week trip to the Andalusia region of Spain and to Tuscany. This poem resonates with how it all felt to me, this first trip to Europe, particularly Granada and the Tuscan countryside. I could definitely become a Europhile, too!

I was intrigued by your tribute to "a people that are their own again" and "family that never ceased to be." Not sure I understand, but I admire the cadence and language.

Thank you,

- Dave

Hi Marti, You found your voice again. This poem simply sings the praises of a place loved. Since I read the footnote first I got the "people that are their own again" and it was a perfect metaphor. I loved this.

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Aptly titled: this is a positive and worthy reflection of how mainland Europe has changed much for the better, following decades of 20th century oppression.

Campaigners in our forthcoming UK referendum (23rd June) to remain or exit the European Union; need to be careful. For the world's great empires are no longer foes in uniforms; but faceless entities who connive, control and steal, from behind the veil of modern technology.

I may have found it, temporarily. I think periodic laryngitis is going to be with me for a while. ;)

Thanks for reading. I hope you checked out the photo link. Checked. Czech. Haha. I slay myself!

Hi Marti, You found your voice again. This poem simply sings the praises of a place loved. Since I read the footnote first I got the "people that are their own again" and it was a perfect metaphor. I loved this.

~~Tink

I would vote for you for Councillor or MP in a minute. :)

Thank you for reading.

Aptly titled: this is a positive and worthy reflection of how mainland Europe has changed much for the better, following decades of 20th century oppression.

Campaigners in our forthcoming referendum (23rd June) to remain or exit the European Union; need to be careful. For the world's great empires are no longer foes in uniforms; but faceless entities who connive, control and steal, from behind the veil of modern technology.

....trying to free myself.

You have certainly achieved that in the poem's voice. Freedoms - of the individual, family, people, country, nature...the expression flowing into one single sentence. Enjoyed.

best

badge

Thank you. Appreciated.

....trying to free myself.

You have certainly achieved that in the poem's voice. Freedoms - of the individual, family, people, country, nature...the expression flowing into one single sentence. Enjoyed.

best

badge