Poetry Magnum Opus

Snow Drifts

Terry L shuff

Terry L shuff
  •                                                      Blustry winter night,
  •                                               Safe within our walls we dwell.
  •                                            Look!.....Snow drifts on hills.                       
  •  

Hi Terry, Haiku is a favorite form of mine, when all else fails write haiku. The form draws emotion from the image. I think your last line would have more power without the "Look!" Just my opinion.

2017  #42
window fan drones
while snow drifts across page
winter in summer

~~Tink

haiku

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

I can see the cottage and the mountain. The cold smell is almost perceptible.

Terry L shuff

Yes your right, I think along the lines , that Haiku is written,  some people find me to direct and opinionated,     when they tell me that they too are being  direct and oplnionated. Oh well your going to have this at times.  but I digress,  your Poem on this message is right on , isn't grand so many wonderfultakes from people about the same subject.  really teaches different ways to view really any thing.  thanks again. TINK

Haiku composition can be a rut in a muddy road, a tune that gets stuck in your head, or a bad habit, like an addiction.  In order to write anything else, I had to break my habit of writing one, or more, each day, for hundreds of days on end and then did it again and again.  On the up side, when done in that kind of habit, it can serve as a form of meditation practice.

I think my haiku tend toward observation rather than conversation and in that sense I might compose a third line here as: 
"Drifts on distant hills"

I very much like the spare form, but make no pretense that americanized haiku, from my hand at least, is in any way Japanese-like, except perhaps in condensation and spirit.  I do not read Japanese.

from the black desert

I like this discussion.  For me haiku helps me focus on the reality, the tangible without getting all tangled up in the emotion. I found journalizing my cancer progression helped me focus on what was,  not what might be. It has taken a lot of the scary out of the journey.  

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Terry L shuff

I agree about to much Haiku.  I recently read an article about Haiku,  The author talked about " so what Haiku "  Extrodinary events,  should be the guide against mundane every day occutances,  that spoil the spirit of a rare and notable,  happening that trigger surprise,  delight,  irony,  an  oh yea moment , or a simple wow..  and many other responses of immediate thought, and emotion.  Most early Haiku, was about,  nature, in all it's   varity.  Of course they lived in an agricultural society, And the Japanese were so respectful of all creation. Todays world is in awe of man's creations, , oh I also want to make sure I don't leave the impression that I speak or translate Japanese.   All I know is rudimentary,  but acquired by reading , articles of people, in the know.

Terry

Terry L shuff

I wanted to thank you for the comment about observation vs. Conversation.  that was a wow moment for me.   oh tink , your right about Haiku, helping to focus and appreciate,   the things some people over look. It does let God know were paying attention.  that was a wow monent like Gatekeepers was for me.   I hope to add a photo , idid manage to put up a cover photo, but my cameras pictures are to big even after croping . One of our Grand chrildren will help.    Terry

• 3 weeks later...

Though I know almost nothing about haiku, I enjoyed reading participants' remarks in this discussion. Winter settings and imagery are my favorite, and I enjoyed where this one took me.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic