the crowd with the innocent

excitement of children, voluntary

interviews, of First Responders and

a gradual dispersion, the rider stripped

of his helmet and jacket, allowed to stand

the driver, tense and nervous allowed in

They hug without pretense, grateful to be alive

and part of this fine dinner.

What attracted me is the framework of contexts weaved together so cleverly as each stanza segued into the other.

The title "First Responder" I thought was a tongue-in-cheek mockery of people who plain observe rather than help out in situations like this. And how this define the boundaries of poets as either participant or witness.

Nice.

"Words are not things, and yet they are not non-things either." - Ann Lauterbach

Frank E Gibbard

May I be the second responder DC to praise this observant piece full of background detail and brilliant observation IMO. Frank

hi dr con - i particularly love the first four stanzas - they stand very powerfully together carrying an excellent theme and clever analogy - however, i was swayed and taken off course a bit by the following three - to me they seem another part or entirely different poem - i got a bit thrown and lost there... icon_neutral.gif but wonderful emotive words written with skill and precision as usual, nonetheless (just my humble opinion!) icon_wink.gif

To receive love, you have to give it...

Thanks for commenting Douglas! icon_biggrin.png

Well, to me the first 3 stanzas are a hypothesis and the last grouping a thesis. It was written, all of a piece to describe a 'Real' world experience and all of the layers of consequences, mentally it was created in reverse, meaning the event happened, and then I considered how e cannibalize 'real' moments...

icon_cool.gif

Thanks once again!

DC

You must have been at a sidewalk cafe when this incident took place, Dr. Con. This part moved me:

I reflect on my not doing

not sure what I can add

unlike my Father ...

because I sometimes feel the same way. Judging by our ages (yours and mine), our parents are probably from the same generation. The members of the so-called "Greatest Generation" (my parents are slightly younger, from a small generation which came immediately after that one, but okay, close enough) did seem to have a different spirit, a can-do attitude, for the most part (except when it came to government; then it was blind allegiance coupled with a "you can't fight city hall" mentality icon_mad.gif ). So, yes, though I don't always agree with my father -- it's normal for grownups to disagree on things -- I nevertheless look at him with respect an admiration.

As for the "first responders," it's wonderful when they are truly heroic and actually save people, but I do have some mixed feelings about them. It seems a lot of them are in it for the glory, and (around here, especially) I could swear there's a lot of drama and intentional tying up of traffic ... probably waiting for the media to arrive.

This part is refreshing and, if true, incredible:

... the rider stripped

of his helmet and jacket, allowed to stand

the driver, tense and nervous allowed in

They hug without pretense, grateful to be alive ...

It's like something from the other time or generation -- Old School ... the old way. I just get sued even when I'm obviously not at fault.

This was an amusing account. I enjoyed how it was based on actual events.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Hi DC, This was great! icon_smile.gif You set the table for a lavish banquet and the fare didn't disappoint. The meticulous detail observed, the personal insight shared, and a hug at the end. I certainly didn't leave this feast hungry but I will be back for more.

I loved especially loved when you shared your own life experience with your Dad, I was very touched. Nice work.

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Thanks Tony, Tinker! Yup the hug actually happened, two guys in their 20s, I think that they were both "at Fault' bad corner anyhow, I was stunned- greatly appreciate the feedback...

icon_biggrin.png

DC

upon a second reading - less hurried - i have been able to absorb the poem properly - it is lovely and your guidance helped me too! sometimes my head is too in the clouds! got it! thank you dr con! icon_biggrin.png

To receive love, you have to give it...

Aleksandra

I can't say much here, because I just feel this poem, and can't express myself and my feelings. But I love it.

I like how Tony commented on this poem, and I found pretty close to my feelings, and thoughts in most of the parts.

This is well written poem Dr.con, I like the title and the speed of the sound.

Thanks for sharing.

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

Thanks Tony Aleks! No worries Tony, most times my poems don't appeal to everyone, and you have an absolute right to your response;-) no judgement...

I often think we would all be better served if we read everyone's poems as if they were already canonized, and a well meaning teacher had just given them to us to evaluate;-)

Much Grace!

DC

dr_con wrote:

No worries Tony, most times my poems don't appeal to everyone, and you have an absolute right to your response;-) no judgement...

I often think we would all be better served if we read everyone's poems as if they were already canonized, and a well meaning teacher had just given them to us to evaluate

But Dr. C ... the poem did appeal to me.:| I liked it a lot!

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Whoops! icon_redface.gif

I meant Douglas, who on rereading got-it, but sometimes first response is best;-)

Sorry, brain on automatic these days;-) or rather too much going on, and therefore:

DC

icon_cyclops.gif