Poetry Magnum Opus

Tinker

I See

Images of beauty and horror display before my eyes.
I revel in the allure of lines and color in the guise
of hillsides, meadows, oceans and creeks, all manner of delights
in daytime as well as the dark mystery of moonless nights.
In contrast destructive forces blight my vision with offensive
spectacles serving as a warning to beware, defensive,
avoiding danger or to be proactive, comprehensive
prevention of future occurrences, attempts to be wise.
Whether fireflies in flight or carnage born of brutal frights,
I cherish the gift of sight, an extraordinary missive.
                                            ~~ Judi Van Gorder

Notes:

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

I vaguely remember Monet painting the way he did in his later years because of failing sight, but then many artists are locked in with their own colours and lines (poets as well as painters). I like your notion of 'missives' posted through our eyes.

enjoyed

Phil

Thanks Phil,  Yesterday my husband was diagnosed with Macular Degeneration in the early stages.  There is no cure but if caught early it can be slowed.  They injected an anti biotic into his eye ball and he will need injections once a month for a while.  Creepy.   It is a progressive disease.   But just knowing he is losing his sight and will eventually be legally blind has us both rattled.  He is an avid reader and then there is the prospect he will not pass his next driving test because of his diminishing sight.  The diagnosis has me thinking about how important our sight is.

~~Tink  

Thanks Phil, he is fine.  The disease takes time and they seem to think they caught It early enough that they can slow it even more. The average progress takes 10 years that would make him 94  and if it can be slowed, it would be even longer before he becomes legally blind.   He has had a very active healthy life until a couple of years ago.  But the last few years have been hard and just when he is getting back to normal, this happens.  It just got me thinking how much we take the sense of sight for granted.  All senses really.  I found myself looking at the silhouette of the trees in the fog when we got home and thinking how many times have I looked at that same scene and didn't take notice.   So much information comes to us through our eyes.  

~~Judi 

All senses really.  I found myself looking at the silhouette of the trees in the fog when we got home and thinking how many times have I looked at that same scene and didn't take notice.   So much information comes to us through our eyes.  

That is so true Judi. I've become more aware of the landscape since picking up a paint brush again. The world has become refreshed.

Judi,

I prefer your poem's appreciative insightfulness to Milton's behindhand stoic despair. Despair can be inspiring, but stoicism just frustrates me and gets me down.

I realize you're using a syllabic meter, but with the exception of L8, this also scans as iambic septameter. But that's just additional confirmation of English's iambic nature.

Thanks for the reminder to count one's blessings.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Thanks Tony,  L8 was a bugger and I've rewritten it several times. After your comment, I tinkered with it again.  I didn't ever like the rhythm at least now it flows a little better.  Thanks for that.

It's the season to take stock and be grateful for what we already have.  Now I have been inspired to read a little Poe and try to walk on the dark side in my next poem.  We'll see how that goes.

~~Judi