Friday began the looting spree
Saturday the Sheriff took a knee
Sunday they burned down the DMV
Monday under curfew, what more will be?
                             ~~Judi Van Gorder

• Like 1

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

The police are to protect us and our property. The murder of any human being during an arrest is inexcusable and the officer involved had a history of excessive force and should have been fired long ago.  Black lives matter is a movement that rightfully has shown a light on systemic racism.  This problem is throughout all of society, not just law enforcement.  George Floyd should not have been murdered. His killer should be prosecuted.  Violence is a virus.  Unfortunately, George Floyd has a history of violent crime throughout his life, has been arrested and served time for violent crimes.  He was not just being arrested because of the color of his skin.  His murder is still not justified, but he wasn't a good man and his actions in life should not be honored any more than his killer should be exonerated. 

Most of the protests have been peaceful but within them are those who use the righteous to damage private property as well as government property which belongs to the tax payers.  Officers holding the line are subject to rocks, bricks, screwdrivers and "unknown" liquid being launched at them.    But all officers have been deployed to keep the crowds from escalating into more destructive behavior. All officers are painted with the same brush.  My son is on his 9th day of 12 hour shifts, outfitted in heavy riot gear in the scorching sun and has been hit by all manner of projectiles and yet has exercised his cool throughout.  In 20 years he has not one complaint of excessive violence on his record.  He has worked the jails, patrol, traffic and special investigative teams throughout his career.  Working in riot gear is his least favorite duty.  But it is his job and he is good at it.  I'm proud of the man I raised.

~~Tink

• Like 1

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

• 2 weeks later...
David W. Parsley

Thanks for the personal insight, Judi.  It made no intrusion into the poem, which is very difficult.  I am pretty much in agreement with everything you said.

Thanks,
 - David

• Like 2

Hear! Hear! Hear! good to great work as always Judi! And what's next? Things not just in quarantine are moving fast but in the world - Blink and who knows?

Doc Con

• Like 2

Judi, I'm sorry I missed this and am just getting to it now. The poem is effective because of its length, the end rhymes, and how it doesn't present answers; it leaves that part up to the reader to ponder.

Tony

PS -- your son looks great, even in the turtle gear! 

• Like 2

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic