Poetry Magnum Opus

Classic Texts

badger11

A number of summer re-reads persuaded me to re-visit the C20. My default is to say he/she was a 'writer of their time', but the anti-semitism of Scott's Ivanhoe just irritated as did the gender stereotypes (I know there are genre excuses). Dickens's idealisation of women, Esther in Bleak House, was also a spoiler for me this time and I found her 'guardian' a bit creepy. However, the parasite Skimpole is one of the best, most unpleasant Dickensian villains. Anyway I thought I'd re-read a modernist, and though I struggled without a narrative plot for a page turnover, I did enjoy the descriptive language of Woolf's To The Lighthouse. The fluidity of the writing, the depiction of the thought process, means the descriptive elements are not laboured.

• tonyv locked and unlocked this topic

Phil, I haven't read these classics you mention -- I may have seen the movie adaptations at some point but have no recollection of them -- so, please elaborate a bit. Do you mean that you simply saw the narratives through a different lens after the passage of time?

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic