Poetry Magnum Opus

Summertime, City Oasis

tonyv

COrs1.jpg

Summertime, City Oasis

These hum-drum days, who wants to party? 
I do, we do, got to move,
will there be time to linger? Now,
it’s not about the left hand, need 
a fast right hand; you let me linger.

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

13 hours ago, badger11 said:

An oasis, in the modern clockwork pace of life, is always a place to linger!

Thank you, Phil! "City Oasis" is actually the name of a local nightspot I pass on my day-to-day travels. The sign and the look appeal to me, but I've never been and don't plan to go. It's clearly a dive bar, and I prefer places more upscale. But the sign does have appeal. It makes me think of a place that I read about which is located in southern California (again, never been), called "The Rainbow Bar and Grill" where rock stars have been known to party. When I'm in the mood and not pressed for time, I'll take a picture of the sign that inspired this poem. I'll add it to this topic and bump the thread. 

Again thanks,

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Today was as good a day as any, so as promised, a pic of the Oasis. Now, you won't catch me at the Oasis -- I prefer venues more upscale -- but for anyone here who likes a good time, no holding back. Make your way to the Oasis and get the party started!

Tony

When you see the sign on your approach, prepare to smile --

COrs2.jpg

-- and there it awaits:

COrs3.jpg

If only it were Friday night! 🍸

(PS -- I'll move the topic to the main showcase, so logged-in member and visitor alike can enjoy it.)

I detected an embarrassing metrical flaw in L3, so I’m still messing around with that line. Though there’s a temp fix in place now, I’m considering more powerful options. 🌴

19 hours ago, badger11 said:

Never tempted Tony? Or is it one of those places where 'strangers' get the 'stare'?

Well Phil, if you were here, we'd go in and find out!

Tony 😃

David W. Parsley

You guys are going to get me in trouble... 😉

• Haha 1

My impression is that the poem is like a pop-culture poem. It is light. It is brief. The music is there. The diction is contemporary. 

'you let me linger' - the identity of the 'you' is intriguing now that picture sets a context 🙂

"Words are not things, and yet they are not non-things either." - Ann Lauterbach

On 6/21/2021 at 10:21 AM, JoelJosol said:

My impression is that the poem is like a pop-culture poem. It is light. It is brief. The music is there. The diction is contemporary. 

'you let me linger' - the identity of the 'you' is intriguing now that picture sets a context

I love it, Joel. Thank you!

Tony 🙂

On 7/1/2021 at 2:50 PM, dr_con said:

Anotrher gem Tony. "You let me linger" Just grand, indeed grand.

Thanks, Juris! Summertime … another pitcher of sangria, for favor! 

Tony 😀