Poetry Magnum Opus

My Alison

tonyv

My Alison

Alison1, I'm giving up on you,
for I'm no Elvis; you're my Waterloo.
Every time I set my sights on you,
my prop-gun jams to rule my aim not true.

For me, it's all about my losing spree.
For you, it just amounts to losing me.
Like money on the table, left behind,
you're recklessness for someone else to find.

• Like 1

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Totally recognise the concluding line. What value should we put on such is, of course,  not rational. Reality, unfortunately, does fire on film sets.

Good one

Phil

Written like a song. Very lyrical. I have to chase what that song was and listened to Ronstadt's version.

"Words are not things, and yet they are not non-things either." - Ann Lauterbach

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/27/2021 at 8:56 PM, dr_con said:

Love this. A beautiful echo of Costello's song 

Juris, thank you! As it often happens with my poems, this is another case where it didn't start out the way it ended up. And that's okay with me if what results is a better poem.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

On 10/28/2021 at 12:47 AM, badger11 said:

Totally recognise the concluding line. What value should we put on such is, of course,  not rational. Reality, unfortunately, does fire on film sets.

Good one

Phil

Phil, thank you. As I stated to Juris, the musical composition to which I allude wasn't the one that inspired the poem and/or its original narrative. It just worked out remarkably well with another convenient allusion to a tragic current event.

Tony

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 3:58 AM, JoelJosol said:

Written like a song. Very lyrical. I have to chase what that song was and listened to Ronstadt's version.

And thank you, Joel. I read that there was a Ronstadt version, but I've never heard it. It's just an oldie but goodie from back in the day.

Tony