Poetry Magnum Opus

January

badger11

It is not signed but I'm assuming is yours Badge.  I am trying to connect it to the title but it's hard when you live another corner of the world. January here would not have green trees other than evergreens and jackets wouldn't be open.   I love the street scene, the child with the balloon, the old man waving and the charming, what appears to be a, restaurant.  I'm not surprised to see you are a painter as well as a poet.  I think the 2 go hand in hand.  

~~Tink

• Thanks 1

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Thanks Judi. Yes, I did paint it, in January. A bubble world. Some of the images I painted from tea coasters so I can't claim them. I dabble more than paint🤣

12 hours ago, badger11 said:

I dabble more than paint

Haha, I get it.  I too have painted in the past, but it means having the paint, cleaning up the mess and having the time and space.  I often sketch especially in my daily journal.   Writing is cleaner, done anywhere and all you need is a pen and paper.   But there is something very satisfying in placing a stroke of paint on a canvas or watercolor paper.  I like you prefer watercolor.  Thank you for sharing your "dabbling".  It gives us another dimension of the artist.  

~~Judi

• Like 1

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure I can look at this painting, as presented, sideways. I'm quoting it here, in my reply, right side up:

IMG_20220112_134828342.jpg.4c42c5734029ee9e306026f8b73cf355.jpg

Now, let's get into it. 

This is not January in any dimension that I'm aware of. Are these people well-adjusted? I don't think so. Look at the guy in the top left corner; he has his hand positioned in some satanic, masonic gesture. And the kid with the balloon -- does he even know that it's cold out? And how about that shopkeeper -- is he a predator with his eye on the child, luring him with some piece of cheap, hard candy??? How about a croissant? Or a breakfast sandwich? Something beneficial, instead ...

No, January makes me want to:

1. Party in a nightclub, intoxicated; and/or
2. Cocoon in the home, fireside, inebriated, and/or
3. Kill myself.

This isn't January; the vibrations are off, and it makes me angry. Anger -- that's what this scene evokes.

• Thanks 1

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

• 3 months later...