Poetry Magnum Opus

Nothing

tonyv

David W. Parsley

Another daring 5-7-5 composition.  Visceral and apparently simple.  Except it isn't simple!  "You can't do with them and you can't do without them," comes to mind.

- Dave

• Thanks 1

On 6/12/2022 at 5:47 PM, dr_con said:

Fantastic Tony! Short, sweet, perfect

Juris, I'm always grateful for your positive encouragement -- thank you!

On 6/12/2022 at 5:55 PM, David W. Parsley said:

Another daring 5-7-5 composition.  Visceral and apparently simple.  Except it isn't simple!  "You can't do with them and you can't do without them," comes to mind.

- Dave

Dave, thank you! I like how you've characterized this: apparently simple, yet not.

23 hours ago, mikejewett said:

Nice Haiku here! The last line really brings it together so well, and it was unexpected, which I quite like.

And Mike, thank you also! I don't know that this rises to the level of a haiku (other than in syllable count), but it's probably the closest I'll ever get to one! And I'm glad you picked up on the last line; I saw it like that myself but wasn't sure anyone else would.

Tony

• Like 1

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Thank you, Phil. I was considering a more “witty” line — can’t even remember what it was now — but I then concluded it was just too clever, too much. This is what stayed. 

Tony

• Like 2

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

What a puzzle for a poem!

• Thanks 1

"Words are not things, and yet they are not non-things either." - Ann Lauterbach

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/11/2022 at 12:00 AM, Tinker said:

In you I thrive
with you I strive
without you I"m still alive
                  ~~jvg

Very nice, Judi! The last line gives me pause. It's doing double-duty with both negative and positive connotations going on ...

Tony

• Like 1