upon a fragile thirsty earth
and sternly the sun keeps shining
down, day after day after day.
                   ~~Judi Van Gorder

• Like 1

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

David W. Parsley

Darn straight!  We got some relief down here from tatters of Kay streaming up from Mexico.  Not much but appreciated.

- Dave

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, David W. Parsley said:

Darn straight!  We got some relief down here from tatters of Kay streaming up from Mexico.  Not much but appreciated.

- Dave

Haha, Yes Dave, it has been in the 100's here for over a week and I keep reading about the coolness of Fall on various poetry forums.  Autumn is technically over a week away and California isn't buying it.  Up here in the northern region the ocean is finally allowing some moisture to come ashore and cool us down a bit but rain is still just a dream.  It's been grey outside yesterday and today but it isn't fog it's smoke. 

My son has been deployed for the last week as Emergency Personell, working 14 hour days, evacuating and patrolling the Hemet region in So CA looking for stragglers who may need help and looters taking advantage of the vacancy of homes. Plus saving the occasional lost dog.  I asked him what is there to burn in the dessert and he said there is burning brush everywhere and it flys around, a few people have died already and hundreds of houses burned.  He said there was fire everywhere right up to the roads.  The dump of rain from the Hurricane helped but then he was on rescue detail for flash floods. He is so tired even though he rides around in a air conditioned car for the most part.   He hasn't had a day off in two weeks and his days are super long.  I hear his exhaustion over the phone.  I think about the guys actually fighting the fires.  They have to be beyond exhaustion. 

We have fires north and east of us up here, but so far no warnings to get out. I do after all, live in the heart of a forest so I'm always alert to that.  This heat doesn't help the situation.   Everyone stay safe.

~~Judi

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 6:28 AM, Tinker said:

It's Hot Out Here  ☀️ 

This September seems reluctant
to succumb to Autumn's allure.
It has persuaded Helios
to penetrate our planet's thin
filter to rain a fiery heat
upon a fragile thirsty earth
and sternly the sun keeps shining
down, day after day after day.
                   ~~Judi Van Gorder

Nicely constructed Judi. Particularly enjoyed the assonance in L2 and consonance in the conclusion. Love the use of allure. 

• Like 1

Thanks Badge, Your reply is so in tune with ancient Welsh meters.  The bardds were all about sound, particularly assonance, conosonance and alliteration.  Cynghanedd ~~ harmony of sound.  Clearly your roots are showing. 

~~Judi

David W. Parsley

Judi, your son is one of those people whose job description means Hero.  He really lives that definition.  Hope he soon finds some time to rest and be safe.

Best,
- Dave

• Like 1