Poetry Magnum Opus

Family Winter Fun

Tinker

Family Winter Fun

Welcome to the Glamis Dunes
the Sahara of Southern Cali,
Shifting sands beneath the moon,
thrills and spills in an off-road rally.

The Sahara of Southern Cali,
giant waves of sun-drenched sand,
thrills and spills in an off-road rally.
Dessert sport on a scale so grand.

Giant waves of sun-drenched sand,
families gather to camp in the round.
Dessert sport on a scale so grand,
all listening to the roaring sounds.

Families gather to camp in the round
I'm strapped in a steel cage on wheels,
all listening to the roaring sounds,
scary roller coaster ride is how it feels.

I'm strapped in a steel cage on wheels,
a heavy helmet plopped on my head,
scary roller coaster ride is how it feels,
dunes ten to twenty feet tall ahead.

A heavy helmet plopped on my head,
adventure over 80 is overrated,
dunes ten to twenty feet tall ahead
I'll not go again, though it wasn't hated.

Adventure after 80 is overrated.
shifting sands beneath the moon.
I'll not go again, though it wasn't hated.
Welcome to the Glamis dunes.
                    ~~Judi Van Gorder

Verse Form: Pantoum

Son and Grandaughter at campsite

6A33633E-8A60-4B4D-8F9F-9ABD2CE74FB0.jpeg

BC946CCD-49D7-4527-A1D1-03E82B889F86.jpeg

This is me. The helmet has an air tube that connects to something on the razer that pumps air into the helmet while you ride.(Don’t ask, I just know I was strapped into the helmet and hooked up to the razer and when I put the visor down cool circulated in the helmet. Without it I would be breathing sand ).  It was freezing in the winter dessert. I put my hand on the door and was told not to because if we rolled I would loose my hand   My son and grandkids go almost every other weekend during the winter months. Besides riding in the razor they also ride Quads and dirt bikes with sand tires.  

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

• Tinker changed the title to Family Winter Fun

That desire for thrills and spills is never sated🤣 Loved plopped. The dichotomy between strapped and liberation!

Nice one Judi

Bw

Phil

• Like 1

8 hours ago, badger11 said:

That desire for thrills and spills is never sated🤣 Loved plopped. The dichotomy between strapped and liberation!

Nice one Judi

Bw

Phil

Haha, Take an hour and a half ride with my son across those dunes, you might change your mind.   There are no trail or roads.  We even went airborne a couple of times.  He was taking it easy on Mom.  I'm glad I went and had the experience but preferred the warmth of the nightly communal bonfire and all the yummy camp food the men barbeque.  It's a guy thing.  Although I have to admit, beside my grandson (13). two of my granddaughters (19 and 21) can hold their own racing quads over the dunes and love it. They've been doing it since they were little kids. The family goes there several times late fall and winter.  Way too hot in the summer. Then it's off to the Lake Havasou for jet and water skiing.  

The Pantoum was a challenge from Writing.com, to write a Pantoum telling a recent adventure.   I just happened to go to the dessert a week before Christmas so it was fun to share my adventure. 

~~Judi 

• 4 weeks later...

"I'll not go again, thought it wasn't hated."

The most poetic lines of the poem, (aside from the very apt descriptors) because they say volumes, unsaid. Never knew about helmets with air tubes for riding in sand dunes, but it makes perfect sense, now that I think about it and your poem made me think about it.

And hello, I am new here and look forward to reading your poems.

Hi Terry, thanks for the response and I too am looking forward to reading your work.. Besides checking to see responses directed at me, I was scrolling to see what new stuff was here and what would most attract me in some limit of time.   The titles of 2 of your poems caught my eye and are are my next stop to read.  They seem intriguing yet down to earth.  So here I come.

~~Tink

Thanks Judi. I keep thinking your poem (minus the very few lines about age) would be marvellous in an Off-Road magazine.  Bring poetry back to the people. For you capture and share the experience so well and it really is that exciting. (Though I have never ridden in sand dunes, but no stranger to snowmobiles and Atv's. )

And I wish half our politicians would get helmets that pump oxygen to their brains. 

• Haha 1