Poetry Magnum Opus

The Perils of Gardening

Terry A

The weeds in mind
grow so patiently
seeded in some sympathy
of hot-head winds and helped along
by no-mow May. Spaced-out blooming
waving sticky hands in summer’s fair beginning.

The relentless rooting out does not end
One illusion after another
lends a helping hand
until exhaustion claims and stoicism reigns 
(regarding those who think they know)
the difference between
what grows well and what just composts
in green tea bubbling 
          and smelling like hell.

• Like 2

On 5/16/2023 at 3:21 PM, Terry A said:

Spaced-out blooms
wave sticky hands in summer’s fair beginning.

My usual tweak/ing suggestion Terry😎 I mow, but leave some unmowed for the wild flowers and bees. Cuts down on that relentless rooting out too 🤣

Enjoyed

Phil

On 5/16/2023 at 7:21 AM, Terry A said:

The weeds in mind
grow so patiently
seeded in some sympathy
of hot-head winds and helped along
by no-mow May.

How much better could this be said? I can almost see the process in my mind.  I feel like you are in my garden.  Loved this.

~~Judi

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Hi Judy. A hot dry spring and the dandelions have flourished. Something called-No May May- was introduced where people were encouraged to leave them blooming as it is one of the first sources of nectar for bees in the spring. Plus the cities in Canada don't want to use as many herbicides anymore. I read about making a fertilizer out of them by placing them in a bucket, covering with water and leaving it to ferment in the sun, then straining, diluting and watering the garden with it. High nitrogen fertilizer provided by nature. Oh, but the smell, as though there's a cow helping out. Makes sense, as the cows digestion system ferments the grasses it eats. We're finally getting some rain, the fires have been of concern. Heavy smoke hanging in the area, lots of people evacuated.

I do the same Phil.  My perfectly manicured friends hate dandelions with a passion, and then they complain about seeing no bees. Oh the irony!

1 hour ago, Terry A said:

Plus the cities in Canada don't want to use as many herbicides anymore.

I am in rural California.  There are many organic farms, vineyards, and orchards in my neck of the woods. Using pesticides can make you a pariah around here. The pesticides drift and can cause the farmers to lose their Organic certification.   Mowing and weed whacking or sitting and yanking the weeds out of the ground are my options.  My front yard is a half acre and I'm 82, so in the last few years, I have hired 2 Mexican workers that come once a month and clear my yard. 

I met them one day when I was mowing my road front, to keep fire danger down.  My mower had run out of gas so I filled it and then I couldn't get it started.  It was a hot day, I was a mess and must have looked like I was ready to keel over.   A pickup truck drove by then stopped and backed up, the guy in the truck said "You need help?" in accented English. I was on the verge of crying, he got out and started my mower for me. Then in broken English said, that's what he does, yard work and he quoted me a price that was a lot but he said he and his friend would work 8 hours and clean up my overgrown yard.  It was getting away from me and I really did need help.  They have been working for me ever since then. Those guys really work, they even trim around the edges of my pasture.  I have a riding mower for the field which I still do myself. I don't have animals out there anymore and for fire purposes, it needs to be mowed.   

I still pull a few weeds but fighting back the berry bushes and the constant "volunteer" growth is beyond me at this point. No pristine garden here, it is kind of wild but very beautiful.  Right now the Iris are in full bloom.  I planted a few bulbs years ago but over time they have prolificated and gophers have moved the bulbs around, I easily have over 100 blooms in my yard right now, some in the oddest spots but they are beautiful.   The same thing happened with callalies and daffodils.

~~Judi 

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Including carnivorous plants would make it a poem about politicians. and I dare not offend nice sensibilities.