these fires are of concern.

Amidst the coke and potato chips
he said    One way to replenish the earth
new growth he said shining
like an awakened sun.

In protest said but I am a gardener……

So am I he said
              Oh so am I.

Terry,   I like this so much.  This casual encounter is so natural.  I too live in fire country and especially during fire season this kind of mingling occurs all of the time.  We all approach life from different angles.  I do wonder, why as a gardener you would protest against "new growth" ?   I'll will be coming back to this.  Maybe see what I missed.  Still this poem resonates in me.  Love it.

~~Judi 

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

No protest against new growth, just an awareness of the human cost of these fires. Glad you liked it and thanks for your comments!

Oh, gone native as in homeless, living in the forest, lighting campfires?   We have that problem here, I should have picked up on that.  Locals have actually given homeless squatters camp stoves in an attempt to reduce fire hazards. But they still build fires for warmth.   Much clearer to me now.   And yes, I really like this, especially the conversational style of writing. 

~~Judi

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Good one Terry. Some humour to coat the more serious point. Reality is so often defined by perspectives, but the consequences are fact.

Bw

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
David W. Parsley

Terry, I find myself teased by the possibility of personification in this encounter, and just can't shake it.  Has the narrator "entertained angels unaware" here, is the whole  thing a surreality rife with literal truths and symbolism a la Ginsberg's "A Supermarket in California" perhaps, or a thoroughly literal conversation with someone coming from a different place with undertones captured by the poet?  I like it.

Thanks (I think!),
 - David

Good to see you David!

Yes. Angels. With some encounters, the change in energy is the clue. And the cashier looking at both of us with a look of utter confusion on her face.........