I'll be illegal
Me, the by the book, me.

Yes, I know the rules.
Yes, my record is clean.
Yes, I've done this before.

But, some things have changed.
Now I'm over 80.
Now I only see through one eye.
Now I must take a behind the wheel test.

Lines are long.
Appointments full.
I'll be illegal in four days.
               ~~Judi Van Gorder

• Like 2

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Ha! At 60 considering getting my very firs driver's license, if I get it now, I'll be facing this conundrum soon;-)

Good luck. How does anyone survive not driving for that long.  City dwellers where things are within walking distance plus lots of public transportation. 

Without driving I’m screwed.  I live alone in the boonies.  There is no public transport here, no Uber.  Walking 15 miles to town for groceries is a little beyond my aging knees.  

And until now no problem, take the test, pass, renewed. But since throwing a blood clot in my right eye over a year ago, I am now blind in one eye. For that reason I have chosen only to drive here in the country where there are only 2 lane roads. I’m nervous about merging vehicles from my right side on 4 lane or more roads even though I still have some peripheral vision in my blind eye. 

It’s because of the blindness DMV wants me to take a behind the wheel test in downtown Santa Rosa where Ive chosen to no longer drive. I probably will still pass the test but I’m dreading it and I’ve been procrastinating. Now my deadline is Tuesday, they are not open on the weekend and I can’t get an appointment until after my birthday.

yikes, Judi

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

ugh. Fingers and toes crossed for you Judi! My brother and my Sister in Law who's your age live in Villa Grande, which if you don't know, is on the other side of the river from Monte Rio 7 miles up river from Guernville -- Neither Drive. Yes, I believe you probably live more inaccessibly BUT you chose to do so because you drive -- Just saying, not driving is its own set of challenges, just like driving and risking life and limb every time you head to the store 😉