Poetry Magnum Opus

Myths

Aleksandra

Aleksandra

I always loved myths. Looking for different ones to read and to learn. The myths are always interesting and worth sacred stories. Long time I'm interested in the mythology and all treasure inside.

I would like to share here some myths. I enjoy to read all different kinds and from different mythologies. So feel free to share some myth what you like and thoughts about myths.

I will start with one of my favorite, very beautiful and tragic myth for the sun of Calliope( the Muse of epic poetry ) and Apollo- Orpheus, and Eurydice

It is from the Greek mythology

Orpheus and Eurydice

.................The most famous story in which Orpheus figures is that of his wife Eurydice. Eurydice is sometimes known as Agriope. While fleeing from Aristaeus, she was bitten by a serpent which brought her to her death. Distraught, Orpheus played such sad songs and sang so mournfully that all the nymphs and gods wept and gave him advice. Orpheus went down to the lower world and by his music softened the hearts of Hades and Persephone (the only person to ever do so), who agreed to allow Eurydice to return with him to earth. But the condition was attached that he should walk in front of her and not look back until he had reached the upper world. In his anxiety he broke his promise, and Eurydice vanished again from his sight. The story in this form belongs to the time of Virgil, who first introduces the name of Aristaeus. Other ancient writers, however, speak of Orpheus's visit to the underworld; according to Plato, the infernal gods only œpresented an apparition of Eurydice to him. Ovid says that Eurydice's death was not caused by fleeing from Aristaeus but by dancing with Naiads on her wedding day.

.................The famous story of Eurydice may actually be a late addition to the Orpheus myths. In particular, the name Eurudike ("she whose justice extends widely") recalls cult-titles attached to Persephone. The myth may have been mistakenly derived from another Orpheus legend in which he travels to Tartarus and charms the goddess Hecate.

.................After the death of Eurydice, Orpheus presumably swore off the love of women and took only youths as his lovers. He is reputed to be the one who introduced pederasty to the Thracians, teaching them to "love the young in the flower of their youth".

.................Orpheus at the end of his life disdained the worship of all gods save the sun, whom he called Apollo. One early morning he went to the oracle of Dionysus to salute his god at dawn, but was torn to death by Thracian Maenads for not honoring his previous patron, Dionysus.

His head and lyre, still singing mournful songs, floated down the swift Hebrus to the Mediterranean shore. There, the winds and waves carried them on to the Lesbos shore, where the inhabitants buried his head.? The lyre was carried to heaven by the Muses, and was placed among the stars. The Muses also gathered up the fragments of his body and buried them at Leibethra below Mount Olympus. His soul returned to the underworld, where he was re-united at last with his beloved Eurydice.

( Some archeologies believe to have found the thumb of Orpheus near Tatul in Bulgaria )

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

goldenlangur

Thank you Aleksandra for sharing your favourite myths here.

Orpheus and his love for Eurydice is absolutely fascinating story in the tragic twists and turns it takes. Here we see the anguish of love, misfortune, separation and undying love and union. Drama, sweep of emotions and great story telling all combined to make this compelling.

I read a little of the Greek mythology as a child and this brought back memories of enchantment these held.

I enjoyed this very much.

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Aleksandra

Glad that this brought you back in your past goldenlangur. Myths I think always are interesting for reading.

Soon I will share some others myths.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts

Aleksandra

History of Macedonia

Larsen M. Callirhoe

hi aleks and goldenlangur, everyone;

i love myths of homer and illayd. i remember reading them along with plato as a pre-teen. they were my grandfathers books. i love the mythology on the goddesses Venus and Sophia and the Greek Goddess of love in Greek mythology though at the moment i have a brain fart and can't remember her name lol. i believe their is a goddess of all and her name is sophia but that is different than the mythology that surrounds the greek goddess sophia.

love the literary charcters you mentioned aleks. i will have to catch up on them and refresh my mind though.

victor

Larsen M. Callirhoe

Aleksandra

Victor thank you for reading. I am glad that this brought some of your memory from long time ago. I would be happy to read if you share some of them Vic.

Aleksandra

History of Macedonia