Poetry Magnum Opus

What's your favorite movie of all time and why?

tonyv

Any category or genre (drama, comedy, horror, romantic comedy, documentary, animated, insert anything else you can think of here) ...

I know this could be hard to narrow down (because there are so many good ones), but is there some movie that somehow defines you?

My top favorite is Fargo. I love the setting and the desperation portrayed ... icon_rolleyes.gif

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Aleksandra

Ah how sweet of you Tony. And how clever. Wonderful topic, and I am happy that finally, one of us made this topic.

Let me ask before start to talk here, is it allowed here to chat some more, about movies? icon_smile.gif

I love the subject - movie.

Thank youuu

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

Aleksandra

Bw Tony, I don't agree with you, yes we are partners but I think you should not say ANY genre of movie. You can say all genres, except one, should I say which one? icon_scratch.pngicon_biggrin.png

Alek

History of Macedonia

Aleksandra wrote:

Let me ask before start to talk here, is it allowed here to chat some more, about movies? Smile

I love the subject - movie.

Of course, it's allowed, Alek. icon_rolleyes.gif But, really, ... try to pick just one. I now it could be possible to choose one (or several) in every category, but which one stands out the most out of all? Which one is a notch above the rest?

Aleksandra wrote:

Bw
Tony
, I don't agree with you, yes we are partners but I think you should not say
ANY
genre of movie. You can say all genres, except one, should I say which one?
icon_scratch.pngicon_biggrin.png

Alek

icon_eek.gif I don't know if I dare even ask ... You better send me a PM about this one, teta! icon_surprised.gif

Tony icon_smile.gif

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Aleksandra

ccc I can't believe what a DOM you are icon_rolleyes.gif Should we make a competition for that who knows on what I mean icon_lol.gif

I think you should reread the rules of this forum Tony icon_razz.gif

But never mind, it's ok. There is nothing to do if somebody defines with some ( not allowed genre ) movie icon_biggrin.png - in what I don't believe icon_biggrin.png.

Tony, you are a clever guy icon_smile.gif

Ok I will try to pick up one - but I don't think that there is any movie what can define me icon_cool.gificon_lol.gif

History of Macedonia

Aleksandra wrote:

ccc I can't believe what a DOM you are
icon_rolleyes.gif
Should we make a competition for that who knows on what I mean
icon_lol.gif

I think you should reread the rules of this forum Tony
icon_razz.gif

icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_razz.gif

... and your favorite movie, girlie, is ...

icon_question.gifsuspect.gif

Aleksandra

It's ok, don't be so shy, I know you are not shy guy. And my favorite movie, hmm... but Tony I said to wait, I should think, it's hard to choose icon_smile.gif. YOu are saying not only favorite but some movie in which i can find some connection with me, right? icon_biggrin.png

Be patient icon_smile.gif, I will say which one is

icon_wink.gif

Nice chat icon_razz.gif

Aleksandra

History of Macedonia

It's ok, don't be so shy, I know you are not shy guy. And my favorite movie, hmm... but Tony I said to wait, I should think, it's hard to choose icon_smile.gif. YOu are saying not only favorite but some movie in which i can find some connection with me, right? icon_biggrin.png

Be patient icon_smile.gif, I will say which one is

icon_wink.gif

Nice chat icon_razz.gif

Aleksandra

It can be simply your favorite, Alek. It doesn't have to have a specific connection to you, like I suggested. I just said that to help in case you were not sure how to approach narrowing down the list ...

and yea ... we will "chat" more about this tonight! icon_razz.gificon_wink.gif

Aleksandra

Ok you clever Dom. icon_razz.gif

I will share my thoughts about one movie, one of my favorite movies. That is the one of the best movies what I have seen. It's old and - I am sure most of you knows - Gone with the wind. I love this movie. I love the scenes of pride from where one comes, when Scarlett O'Hara the heroine of the movie, takes the piece of the ground from her land and promise in that name no more hungriness... Also the end touched me exactly because that from that land comes that energy to handle with all hard things.

The movie generally I like it, and I watched this one, many times, but the most what I love inside, is that the source of energy and pride. Sometimes is used on more rude way to get what is needed, but on other hand shows that when you want something really from your heart, or if you have some goal in front of you, you can do it - whatever it is, only with hope and energy.

I enjoy this movie. I love it.

There it is my answer Tony icon_smile.gif.

Aleksandra

History of Macedonia

Larsen M. Callirhoe

i couldve guessed gone with the wind was aleks favorite movie from reading her web pages that are up.

my favorite movie is star wars a new hope the first movie in george lucas saga of jedi knights, there is such an aura and magic about this movie.

my top five movies are 1. star wars, 2. indiana jones first movie, 3. gone with the wind, 4. once upon a time in america staring robert deniro (a must see movie) 5. the wizard of oz.

as you see all five of these movies are classics. 6, on the list is casablanca. 7. mircle on 32nd street starting jimmy stewart, 8, boyz in the hood staring a black actor who played character dough boy 9. empire strikes back (maybe the best storyline ever told in a movie and 10. edward scissorhands (a great movie).

i hsave another dozen or 15 movies but i dont remember all there titles.

Larsen M. Callirhoe

Larsen M. Callirhoe

11. close encounters of the third kind

12. i forget the title but it is a spanish gang movie about three brothers

13. return of the jedi the best triliogy there is

14. the spy who loved me ( a james bond flick)

15. braveheart staring mel gibson

16. 48 hours starring eddie murphy

17. gloria cast of unknowns remade starring famous actress and singer

18. goldfinger (james bond flick)

19. from russia with love (a james bond flick)

20. Octupussy (a james bond flick) - a great love story

21. the simpsons the movie

22. casnio starring robert deniro, sharon stone

23. fargo

24. airplane

25. the third india jones movie guest starring sean connery

26. a bridge too far

27. d day the longest day

Larsen M. Callirhoe

Gone with the Wind is indeed a classic, Alek. It's a wonderful selection for a favorite movie, and, when I think about it, it does seem to epitomize you. icon_smile.gif I really like your reasons for liking it. I remember watching it as a kid, and I can imagine my mother giving the same answer to my "favorite movie" question. icon_smile.gif

Ah, Victor, I remember Star Wars. I'm not sure exactly to which episode you are referring, but I can remember seeing the original one in 1977. I was seven, and it was so exciting my parents had to take us to see it on the big screen three times. icon_smile.gif (I think they liked it, too. icon_smile.gif )

Tony

my favourite movie? hmm, i have two, actually. the first is 'a room with a view' - a beautiful adaptation of the book, by the same name, written by e.m. foster.

i loved and still love this movie as much as when it first came out. it spoke directly to my pubescent sensibilites and planted the seeds of romance and an appreciation for foster's literary work. the film stands as beautifully today as it did in the mid 80's and features the beautiful and brilliant off-beat actress helena bonham-carter in her debut role.

the second film i absolutely adore is 'the hours', a clever portrayal of the lives of three women - under-pinned by a common thread exploring the enigma and genius of virgina woolf and her influence upon society - as well as common sensibilities shared by women.

nicole kidman stars in the movie and portrays virginia woolf with great flair and sensitivity. she won a much deserved oscar award for this role.

To receive love, you have to give it...

goldenlangur

Hi Tony,

You've lifted the lid off Pandora's box here icon_smile.gif

All time favourite is : Kurosawa's The Seventh Samurai.

Others:

Tampopo

The Cup ( made by a Bhutanese incarnate monk)

ET

Sholay (A Bollywood blockbuster about bandits)

Bandit Queen ( a real life story of a woman who became a bandit in the infamous Chambal valley in India after her husband was murdered and she was gang raped). Phoolan Devi, as she was called later, became a member of the Indian parliament but was killed in some sectarian vendatta.

Kieslowski's Three Colours.

Unfortunately I've not seen Fargo and many, many other wonderful films.

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Larsen M. Callirhoe

Kurosawa's The Seventh Samurai.

hi goldenlangur,

that is a good movie also. i have enjoyed watching that movie several times. definitely a classic

vic

Larsen M. Callirhoe

I have to jump in, I am a big movie buff.

The Cowboys with John Wayne.... an oldy but a goody. The story of a cattle drive made with school boy drovers. I loved this movie which I have on Video and have watched it many times. I want to convert it to DVD.

Seven Brides For Seven Brothers Howard Keel and Jane Powell, another old movie, a broadway musical maded into a movie. I have it on DVD and I have now converted my granddaughters to fans of a movie that was made before their parents were born.

There are many more but these 2 I will never tire of.

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com