• Announcements

• tonyv

Registration -- to join PMO   03/14/2017

Automatic registration has been disabled. If you would like to join the Poetry Magnum Opus online community, use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of this page.
    • tonyv

IMPORTANT: re Logging In to PMO ***Attention Members***   03/15/2017

For security purposes, please use your email address when logging in to the site. This will prevent your account from being locked when malicious users try to log in to your account using your publicly visible display name. If you are unable to log in, use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page.

10 posts in this topic

One Two Three, Ring!

The goal was set last June

when in a loss they heard the tune

of victory for other men.

Defeated then.

Through eighty two

their mantra grew

to send

a message round the bend

that they would be the champs

they revved up all the amps.

Then playoffs tested heart and grit

and they proved up for it.

Yes, it came true,

L.A. Lakers gained their due!

---Judi Van Gorder

Congratulations to the LA Lakers on winning the NBA Championship! Go Lakers!

Sorry, got caught up in the moment and just discovered a 16th century French verse form and I thought I'd experiment with it. Freie Verse

I knew somehow before reading the last line that you were celebrating the Lakers. While I am not a fan of the game it has been hard to miss the drama. What is the story behind the "Laker Hater" phenomenon that I have heard about?

As far as the poem goes, well written and fun to read. I of course like that it rhymes. A great tribute and nicely presented.

rg

I liked how you applied the old form to a contemporary subject, Tinker. The whole thing flows quite well, but I think my favorite part has to be "they revved up all the amps." icon_smile.gif Very clever. Enjoyed this occasional poem.

Tony

Tinker agree with the above- Personally I don't care much for organized sports, despite the occasional soccer fiending- But this was a lovely spontaneous adaption of an old form to fit your immediate and enthusiastic needs;-)

DC

Tony would say this is a contemporary 14-line sonnet-like poem. It has its turn.

Thanks guys.... I am still smiling... ~~Tink

Hi Tink,

I like how you capture the build-up to that moment:

Through eighty two

their mantra grew

to send

a message round the bend

that they would be the champs

Congratulations :wine:

go Miami Heat!